Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, Valladolid - Yucatan Study Tour

Open Campus Block

FALL BLOCK I - CHICHEN ITZA, EK BALAM, VALLADOLID

Located In the center of the State of Yucatan, the World Heritage ancient Maya city of Chichen Itza is one of the most important sites of archeological richness on the planet. It is visited yearly by millions of people interested in the grandeur, beauty and culture of this fascinating Maya legacy. Chichen Itza with its grand cultural heritage and its distinctive monuments, like the Pyramid of Kukulcan, the Observatory and the Temple of the One Thousand Columns, was named one of the new Seven Wonders of the World.

Ek Balam was the capital of the Tah Empire, to whom the tribes from the eastern part of the state and along the coast paid tribute. This is evident in the many shells found here that were given as offerings. The site spans around 12 square kilometers and it is said that it was founded by a lord called Ek Balam or Coch Cal Balam, who came from the east and ruled the city for 40 years.

With a population of 38,000 inhabitants, Valladolid is the second most important city in the state of Yucatan. Valladolid was founded in 1543 by Francisco de Montejo and was the center of all activity and development during the colonial period. There are plenty of beautiful buildings, churches and cobbled stone streets that are reminiscences of this city’s rich history.

FREE TIME SUGGESTIONS 

Convent de San Bernardino de Siena has a light show that starts at 9:15 PM about the local history of Valladolid. It is only 20 minutes long, so don’t be late.