Budapest named European Best Destination 2019

Melinda Pap

Budapest has been voted this yearʼs "European Best Destination" by travelers, with the Hungarian capital topping a list of 15 competitors, ahead of second-placed Braga in Portugal, and the Italian town of Monte Isola in third, according to a press release sent to the Budapest Business Journal by European Best Destinations.

The competition is now in its tenth year, with this yearʼs competition receiving a record of more than half a million of votes (515,375) from 153 countries, as well as more than 140,000 shares of the voting page on social networks. The competitionʼs website praises Budapestʼs rich architectural and historical heritage, while also lauding its culture, gastronomy, and thermal baths. "The pearl of the Danube is not only the best European destination, it is also one of the most beautiful and safest cities in the world," European Best Destinations notes. "Budapest offers the elegance of Paris, the architectural heritage of Vienna, the charm of Porto, Stockholm’s gentle way of life." The 15 most voted destinations will be promoted to millions of travelers, media and tourism professionals as the trendiest destinations to visit in 2019 and will feature on the European Best Destinations’ website, europeanbestdestinations.com. The program has been promoting culture and tourism in Europe to millions of travelers and tourism professionals and the media since 2009; it is the most visited website dedicated to travel in Europe, reaching an audience of over 5.5 million travelers, the press release says. 

Illustration: Botond Horváth

https://bbj.hu/budapest/budapest-named-european-best-destination-2019_161123