Beautiful, Bodacious, BARCELONA!

It's no secret, Barcelona is an amazing city in which to study abroad. With nice weather year-round, the Mediterranean Sea steps away, and the scent of mind-blowing Catalan cuisine wafting through the air, the lure is understandably compelling. But which of our ten Barcelona programs is best for you? Here’s the five-W’s for each CIEE program in this incredible location …

Advanced Liberal Arts

WHO: Open to students of all academic backgrounds with a minimum 2.5 GPA and at least six semesters of college-level Spanish (or equivalent).
WHAT: Choose from a huge selection of courses, taught in Spanish. 15-18 semester/22.5-27 quarter credits. For-credit internships available.
WHERE: CIEE Barcelona and our partner school, Universitat de Barcelona (UB) – the oldest and largest university in Barcelona.
WHEN: Spring or fall semester, or full academic year.
WHY: Because you want to take your advanced Spanish language skills to a new level; choose from a wide range of courses; and live in a city renowned for its art, architecture, and Catalan culture.

Business + Culture

WHO: Junior or senior students of all Spanish language levels, with a minimum of 2.5 or 3.0 GPA (see below) and three semesters of college-level micro or macroeconomics, accounting, finance, management, or statistics.
WHAT: Spanish language classes tailored to your skill level as well as courses in business and marketing. For-credit internships available in Spanish and English. 15-18 semester/22.5-27 quarter credits.
WHERE: CIEE Barcelona, Escola Superior de Comerc International (3.0 GPA) or Universitat de Vic – Central University of Catalonia (2.5 GPA).
WHY: Because you want to take your Spanish language skills to a new level; advance your knowledge of business; and live in a city renowned for its art, architecture, and Catalan culture.

Economics + Culture

WHO: Junior or senior economics and business majors with 0-3 semesters of college level Spanish or equivalent, a minimum 3.0 GPA, three semesters of college-level micro or macroeconomics, and one semester of calculus.
WHAT: Spanish language classes tailored to your skill level as well as courses in economics and business or Hispanic and European studies in English or Spanish.  For-credit Internships available.
WHERE: Universitat Pompeau Fabra (UPF), internationally recognized for its economics program.
WHY: Because you want to take your Spanish language skills to a new level; advance your knowledge of economics; and live in a city renowned for its art, architecture, and Catalan culture.

January in Barcelona

WHO: Students with a minimum 2.5 GPA interested in either International Marketing or Catalonia and Spain Through the Arts.
WHAT: Choose from two three-week, three-credit courses: International Marketing or Catalonia and Spain Through the Arts.
WHERE: CIEE Barcelona located near Barcelona’s main square, Plaza de Catalunya.
WHEN: January 2-22, 2020.
WHY: Because you want to devote January break to an incredible international experience, earn three credits, and discover the magnificence of Barcelona. 

Language + Culture

WHO: Juniors or seniors with 0-3 semesters of college-level Spanish with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
WHAT: Spanish language classes tailored to your skill level as well as a wide range of courses in English, across academic areas. For-credit internships available.
WHERE: CIEE Barcelona and Universitat Pompeau Fabra (UPF), a highly ranked public university.
WHY: Because you want to take your Spanish language skills to a whole new level; choose from a wide range of courses; and live in a city renowned for its art, architecture, and Catalan culture.

Summer Business + Culture

WHEN: Summer sessions I, II, and/or III. 
WHY: Because you want to put your summer to good use, earning credits, learning Spanish, and discovering the magnificence of Barcelona. 

Summer Global Internship

WHO: Sophomores, juniors, or seniors with a minimum 2.5 GPA interested in gaining real-world work experience in Barcelona’s dynamic business sector.
WHAT: Customized internship based on your academic focus and career goals with integrated academic seminar – 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours.
WHERE: The cosmopolitan Mediterranean city on the sea – Barcelona.
WHEN: May 18 – July 13, 2020
WHY: Because you know international work experience is a priceless addition to a resume and Barcelona is one of Spain’s most vibrant business hubs.

Summer Global Internship Language Immersion

WHO: Sophomores, juniors, or seniors with a minimum 2.5 GPA and a minimum of four college semesters of Spanish interested in gaining real-world work experience in Barcelona’s dynamic business sector.
WHAT: Customized internship based on your language skills, academic focus, and career goals with integrated academic seminar – 6 semester hours/9 quarter hours.
WHEN: May 18 – July 13, 2020
WHY: Because you want to put your excellent Spanish language skills to good use; you know international work experience is a priceless addition to a resume; and Barcelona is one of Spain’s most vibrant business hubs.

WHO: Juniors or seniors with a minimum 3.0 GPA and at least four semesters of college level Spanish.
WHAT: Classes in Spanish across a wide range of academic areas. 15 semester hours/22.5 quarter credits. For credit internships available.
WHEN: Spring or fall semester, or full academic year.

Global Architecture + Design

WHO: Majors or minors in architecture, environmental design, industrial design, interior design, landscape architecture, sustainability, or urban design with a minimum 2.5 GPA and two or three semesters of design studio or project-based courses in your major.
WHAT: Develop a language of technological design that links individual responsibility and the global environmental crisis through the study of places, cities, and cultures. 15 semester hours/22.5 quarter hours.
WHERE: CIEE Barcelona and Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IAAC).
WHEN: Spring or fall semester.
WHY: Because you want to address climate change by designing a model city that reduces the environmental footprint of buildings using hands-on workshops and cutting-edge technology.