The artistry of Seoul

Summer Korean Studies

Valerie G.

Seoul is a city full of art and talent. Whether it is the architecture of Gyeongbokgung Palace or the many skyscrapers that fill the sky. You can't help but be in awe of its beauty. While on a scavenger hunt throughout the city, my fellow students and I stumbled upon Unhyeongngung. Unhyeongngung was the Royal Residence to one of South Korea's princes during the Joseon Dynasty. Amazed by the residence and its historical structures, I was shocked to find a showcased contemporary art exhibit of Jeju-do. Jeju-do is the southernmost island of South Korea and is home to many interesting sea creatures because of the year-round warm climate.

After meeting and talking with the artist in Korean I was able to find out that she stayed in Jeju-do for a month taking in the beauty of the island. After her experiences, she was motivated to paint and create a beautiful series of artworks dedicated to the island. She went out on a boat almost every day and studied the ocean and admired the dolphins. This inspired her to create beautiful pastel pieces of art made from seashells she found on the beaches of Jeju-do. 

I found it amazing that such a historical place could include works of contemporary art. The city of Seoul is fascinating in that way. It has the ability to be a modernized city with buildings you can't see the top of, while also proudly containing traces of historical structures from the Joseon Dynasty. Perhaps that is one of the reasons Seoul is so unique. Seoul has the capability to perfectly encapsulate the contemporary present with the historical abundance of South Korea's past.

"Everyone can recognize history when it happens. Everyone can recognize history after is has happened; but only the wise man knows at the moment what is vital and permanent, what is lasting and memorable". -Winston Churchill