Adjusting

Jessika R.

Week 1 / 6

So much has happened within the week. I walked around Copenhagen, made new friends, and started my academics. I feel as though, the main thing topic for this week is about "adjusting". I did not come here with any expectations of what the culture or surrounding area would be like. However, since being here I have had to adjust to some different cultural and social differences. One cultural difference was how clean and environmentally friendly Denmark is as a whole, let alone in such a large city like Copenhagen. The surrounding water is so clean, the trash cans are easily accessable and frequently used, and they are huge on recycling and reusing whatever they can find. It is very nice to know that a society can care so much for their environment and all be acitivists in promoting such healthy living standards. Another really huge adjustment was the biking culture here in Denmark. Bikes are literally everywhere. There are bike lanes and you can see any and everyone biking. You can see people wearing suits or dresses riding bikes, children riding bikes to school, parents riding bikes with large baskets for their children to sit in, and even athletic bikers. Biking in Denmark is their largest form of transportation, next to their public transportation systems such as bus, metro, and water taxi. It is amazing to see all the different ways that people get to and from places, and to see how the architecture of the country accomidates for this is just outstanding. I love adjusting to different cultures and societies because it gives myself an opportunity to learn something new, meet new people, and experience what it is like to be someone who lives there!

19:51