5 TIPS FOR GETTING A GREAT DEAL ON YOUR STUDY ABROAD FLIGHTS

Searching for affordable and convenient flights can be tricky. Perhaps you found the perfect flight, only to discover it involves three layovers and an airport overnight stay. Maybe you landed a fantastic deal, but upon further investigation, learned the fee does not include snacks, luggage, or seat selection. Whatever the case, don’t fret.

Here are five tips for snagging a great deal on your study abroad flights:

SET UP FLIGHT ALERTS

Flight alerts are your friends. Download apps like Skyscanner, Kayak, Jetradar, Kiwi, or Hopper and sign up to receive flight alerts. Rather than spending hours searching for flights, these alerts will send price deals straight to your inbox based on your destination and travel dates.

BROWSE IN PRIVATE

It sounds creepy, but you know as well as anyone, your search history is being tracked. Browsers and sites know what you’ve looked at and use it to their advantage. Don’t be surprised if you spot an affordable flight one day and find the cost increased the next. You’re seeing a higher fee because they identified your travel needs. You have two options: either clear your cookies and search history between sessions; or do your research in incognito mode. Both ensure you’ll get served the most up-to-date price.

CONSIDER THE BEST TIME TO BOOK FLIGHTS

According to the latest research gathered by Skyscanner, the best day to book international airfare is Saturday. Additionally, CIEE recommends booking your flight at least one month before your program is scheduled to begin. Keep these details in mind during the flight-booking process.

BOOK WITH A TRAVEL CREDIT CARD

If you’re responsible for booking your own flights and you (or your parents) have a travel credit card, use it when it comes time to do so. Typically, when you book travel using a travel credit card, you earn points that you can apply to future expenses. You might even have points sitting on your account that you can use toward your flight cost. The more points you accrue, the more you will save on transactions later!

READ THE FINE PRINT CAREFULLY

Before you hit the confirm button and book your flight, give the fine print another close read. How much baggage can you bring on board? What about checked luggage? If you’re on an overnight flight, are your meals, beverages, and/or snacks covered? Do you get to choose your seat or is it a free-for-all once you board? These details might not make or break your decision, but it’s wise to know what you’re agreeing to before you lock-in.

Ready to find your perfect study abroad program? Start exploring!