5 Reflections from Studying Abroad in Paris, Rome, Berlin

Open Campus Block

Study abroad will change your life! We asked alumni to reflect on their time abroad and share a few tips to help future students prepare for the journey ahead. Check out what Aaron A., from California Lutheran University, had to say about his time study abroad in Paris, Rome, Berlin!

Why did you choose to study abroad?

I chose to study abroad to learn, grow, and mature from a diverse range of cultural experiences.

What is one thing you wish you knew before studying abroad or one piece of advice you would give yourself?

Don’t forget to stamp your ticket for buses and trains. Not knowing is not an excuse, you will be fined!

In what ways did you see yourself grow and change while abroad?

I became more self-aware of my own cultural tendencies, as I got to see Americans from a local perspective. I also learned to be more patient, flexible, and understanding towards new customs, experiences, and even mishaps that may have occurred along the way.

What was the biggest culture shock you faced? How did you adapt?

My biggest culture shock experience was in France, where the language was integral to most every interaction. I adapted by learning as I went and paying attention to all of my surroundings rather than fighting the discomfort.

How would you summarize your study abroad experience in one word?

Transformational.