5 Must-Eats in Argentina

When in Argentina, food sampling is a must! Like any city, Buenos Aires has its best eats just waiting to tempt you. From entrees like beef, to indulgent desserts like sweet caramel, Buenos Aires is full of tasty treats for even the most sophisticated taste buds.

Here are a few of the most popular Argentinian plates that you should devour while spending your term abroad in Buenos Aires:

Photo for blog post 5 Must-Eats in Argentina

Grilled beef (served with chimichurri)

When studying abroad in Argentina, you’ll quickly recognize that beef is a key component of the Argentinian diet. It is not uncommon to find beef served in several meals throughout the day. One of the best ways to consume beef in Buenos Aires (and the rest of Argentina for that matter) is to pair it with chimichurri. Chimichurri is made with a variety of flavorful ingredients including parsley, garlic, olive oil, oregano, and vinegar. In short, this delightful combination is bound to satisfy you.

Empanadas 

Empanadas are half-moon shaped pastries that are baked (sometimes fried) with a variety of fillings inside. You can find just about any ingredients inside empanadas, but the most common fillings include meats, cheeses, and/or veggies. These savory pastries can be found throughout Buenos Aires, just waiting for you to give them a taste!

Medialunas

If you’re a fan of baked goods, medialunas (aka croissants) might be your jam. These crescent-moon shaped treats are flaky, sweet, and even a little sticky. Technically, there are two types of medialunas

• Sweet (medialunas de manteca), which are brushed with butter and glazed in sugar.
  • Savory (medialunas de grasa), which are skinnier, drier, and made with lard.

Either version is worth trying while in Argentina. Better yet, try both!

Alfajor

An alfajor is a scrumptious dessert that is best described as a cookie sandwich. The cookies are sweet, with a layer of divine dulce de leche (a milk-based caramel) spread in the middle. Some alfajores are covered in decadent chocolate. Either way, this tasty treat is too good to pass up!

Churros

Never decline a churro! These delicious snacks are a type of fried pastry served in a variety of ways, usually with sugar on top. Some churros are long and thick, whereas others are thin and even knotted. Churros are typically prepared for breakfast in Argentina, and often served with one of the following:

• Hot chocolate
  • Dulce de leche (milk-based caramel)
  • Café con leche (coffee with milk)

If this list has taught you anything about the meals available in Buenos Aires, it’s that there is no shortage of delicious eats while studying abroad here. Indulge and enjoy!