4 Reasons You Should Study Abroad in Prague with CIEE

By: Grace Blendonohy

Moving to a foreign country for a semester can be overwhelming as it is. So, finding a program to help you assimilate to your new surroundings is a significant factor when studying abroad. My study abroad experience with the CIEE Central European Studies program has been one of the best experiences of my life. If you are still deciding where to study overseas, this post is for you. Below, I list why everyone should study abroad with CIEE in Prague

1. The staff 

The CIEE staff in Prague are some of the friendliest and most caring people I have met. From the moment I walked off the plane, I was welcomed by CIEE staff, who helped me move into my new apartment from the airport for the semester. Before the first day of classes, the CIEE staff put on a three-day orientation to prepare students for our time abroad. This included a tour of Prague, showing us how to navigate public transportation, and helping us get international phone plans. The attentive staff made my transition to Prague enjoyable and excited me to explore my new home for the semester. 

2. Activities  

Every Monday, a staff member at CIEE sends students an email outlining a list of free activities students can participate in. Some of the activities include wine-tasting classes, attending a hockey game, perfume making, jewelry making, and yoga. My favorite activity they offered was the glass-making class, where I made a glass necklace and jewelry dish! Through these activities, I met other CIEE students, tried new things, and immersed myself in Czech culture in new and exciting ways. 

3. Excursions  

The program offers free activities and 4-weekend trips to different European cities where students can sign up for one. The ones offered this fall were to Berlin, Munich, Vienna, and Budapest. I went on the Budapest trip with CIEE at the end of September. The weekend trip included round-trip travel, accommodations, a tour of the Hungarian Parliament building, a river boat cruise, and a small meal allowance. They also offered a day trip to Pilsen, where the Pilsner Urquell Brewery is located. These excursions are excellent ways to see more of Europe. 

4. Academics

CIEE Prague program has a building where all the classes are held in the neighborhood of Vysehrad. Every class is taught in English with only CIEE students. Classes are only held Monday-Thursday, allowing you enough time to travel to other cities on the weekends. However, they have a strict attendance policy, so attend class. The teaching staff is enthusiastic, and the program offers many courses, including art, history, and finance. You can also take classes at Charles University. My favorite aspect of the class curriculum is the field trips that allow students to learn more about the Czech Republic outside the classroom. Finally, to make students feel more at home, around the holidays, the CIEE staff sets up buffets of snacks for Halloween and Thanksgiving.