3 Advice for Studying Abroad

Angel L.

Lesson 1: It is Okay to Prioritize Yourself

If you're contemplating whether or not to study abroad, I say choose yourself for once, do things that make you happy, and just go for it. As the only daughter and the person my parents relied on for everything, deciding to study abroad was a difficult choice. I felt a sense of guilt, as if it was my responsibility to hold everything together, and choosing to prioritize myself seemed selfish. I'm not sure how many people reading this can relate, but if you can, know that it's okay to prioritize yourself. Trust me, the experience will be worth it.

Lesson 2: Do it Alone!

Hopping on a plane and going to a new country alone was, without a doubt, the best decision I have ever made. Believe me, I know how scary it can be. I had never flown alone before, and to be honest, I rarely did anything alone. The thought of being by myself used to terrify me. But coming here alone has made me realize how beautiful it is when you can find peace in being alone. And because I had no one to rely on, I discovered how adaptable, resilient, and social I can be. So, step out of your comfort zone, break free from your social bubble, and open your arms to meeting new people. I mean if you are coming here with friends, that's amazing too but I am here to tell you that it is okay to come by yourself as well!

Lesson 3: It is Okay to Have Rest Days

When I first arrived in Korea, I felt a constant pressure to be up and ready to do something new every day. I thought that if I wasn't exploring, I was wasting my time. However, I soon realized that taking rest days and prioritizing self-care is just as valuable. In fact, allowing myself to slow down and recharge has been crucial to my overall well-being and has allowed me to fully appreciate the experiences I have had here. So, if you find yourself in a new place and feeling overwhelmed by the urge to do everything, remember that taking care of yourself is just as important as exploring your surroundings.

Thank you for reading my little TED talk, hope it helps. 

xoxo angel lei

ig: axgxl :)