21 Cool Things to Do When You Study Abroad in 2021

1. Join the world’s largest religious gathering. From January 14 to April 27, the Festival of the Sacred Pitcher Kumbh Mela will be held in India. Held every 12 years, the festival will attract up to 120 million people including sadhus and other Hindu holy men, naked and smeared with ash. Haridwar, which translates to “Gateway to God,” is one of Hinduism’s most sacred sites and is located on the Ganges River, roughly 142 miles from Delhi.

2. Tennis Anyone? If you find yourself Down Under from January 18-31, watch some of the world’s best tennis players battle it out at the Australian Open in Melbourne.

3. Trains, Trains, and More Trains. For railroad buffs around the world, the blissful RailTech Europe 2021 will be held March 30-April 1 in Jaarbeurs Utrecht, the Netherlands. See firsthand the cutting edge innovations that will shape the railways of the future.

4. Ring in Year of the OX! Where better to kick off the Chinese New Year than in Shanghai, Beijing, or Nanjing? On February 12, the Chinese will make way for plenty of good fortune with feasts, parades, lanterns, colorful costumes, and lots of rituals.

5. Get Your Samba on at Carnival in Rio de Janeiro. Nearly two million revelers will spend the first week in February at a week-long party known as Carnival. Just before Lent, the entire city is full of floats, samba schools, song, and dance.

6. XX Chromosome DAY! Celebrate the astonishing achievements of women around the world during International Women’s Day on March 8, 2021. No matter where you are around the globe, take a moment to recognize the important women in your life.

7. The Road to Democracy in South Africa was long and arduous. Remember the struggle and bravery during the International Philatelic Exhibition (IPEX), “The Road to Democracy,” March 17-20 in Cape Town, featuring letters written by Nelson Mandela from Robben Island.

8. Happy Birthday, Rome! The Eternal City celebrates its birthday on the 21st of April in honor of its humble beginnings in 753 BC. As legend has it, Rome was founded by twins known as Romulus and Remus, who were rescued and raised by a she-wolf after being condemned to die.

9. The Sweet Scent of Cherry Blossoms. Kyoto is one of the best places to visit in April due to its famously beautiful cherry blossoms. Not only is this ancient city lined with fragrant, pink-flowering trees, but many of its historic sites spring to life in celebration. Kyoto’s shrines, temples, city centers, and halls host performances and ceremonies during this month.

10. GO, Team! The final match of the 2020-21 UEFA Europa League will be played at Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán in Seville, Spain in May.

11. No glasses needed for the Total Lunar Eclipse on May 26, but your best chance of witnessing it would be from eastern Asia, Japan, and Australia. The moon will pass completely through the Earth’s shadow and take on a blood-red color.

12. Tune-up Your Two-Wheeler and cheer on the pros for 23 days in June during the Tour de France. This annual bike tour is considered the world’s most difficult and prestigious.

13. Make Sure You’re Somewhere FUN on June 21 because it’s the Longest Day of the Year, also known as the June Solstice. The North Pole will be tilted toward the sun, marking the first day of summer in the northern hemisphere and the first day of winter in the southern hemisphere.

14. Don’t forget your whites if you’re in London, June 28-July 11. The Wimbledon Championships is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and the only one still using grass courts.

15. A Bird? A Plane? MAKS! 2021 World Air Show is one of the most exciting aviation shows on earth and your chance to experience past and future aviation and space technology. See the most up-to-date defense products of Russia and other countries, including aircraft, rockets, and the latest scientific research.

16. Colossal Whale-Watching takes place at the Hermanus Whale Festival in Cape Town, South Africa. Each September, people gather to witness the migration of the magnificent Southern Right Whale.

17. Once in a blue moon, you can actually see a blue moon! The full moon on August 22 will be the third of four full moons in the astrological season.

18. Herald the victory of light over darkness at Diwali, Festival of Lights in Mumbai, India. This ancient Hindu festival is celebrated every autumn over a five-day period.

19. My camel is prettier than your camel. Find out whose camel is prettiest at the Al Dhafra Festival/Camel Beauty Pageant in Abu Dhabi. The event, which begins in mid-December and spills into January, is a celebration of the Bedouin people who once inhabited the area. Camels are adorned in costumes and jewelry and allowed to strut their stuff, while visitors enjoy great food, entertaining races and the knowledge that they’ve laid their eyes on the best-looking camels in the world.

20. Any time is a good time to be in Costa Rica. Lush rainforests, beautiful beaches, and some of the most incredible biodiversity in the world make good company. But in 2021, Costa Rica pledges to be carbon neutral - the first country to actually make it happen.

21. Don’t look down if you’re afraid of heights! When the Dubai Creek Tower (UAE) opens sometime in 2021, it will be the world’s tallest building at 2,717 feet.