10 Suburbs of Sydney

Open Campus Block

CIEE Sydney

Sydney is a large and diverse city with a range of suburbs that offer unique experiences and attractions for visitors to explore. Here are some of the best suburbs near Sydney to visit: 

sydney australia
Fairy Bower Rockpool - Manly

1. Manly: Located on the northern beaches, Manly is a popular destination for beachgoers and surfers. The suburb offers stunning ocean views, a range of cafes and restaurants, and a scenic coastal walk from the Manly Ferry Wharf to Shelly Beach. All locals head to The Corso for music and nightlife. 

sydney australia
Paddington Reservoir Gardens

2. Paddington: Known for its trendy boutiques, art galleries, and cafes, Paddington is a great suburb to explore for fashion and food lovers. The area also offers historic Victorian terraces, charming streetscapes, and the iconic Paddington Markets. Be sure to check out the Paddington Reservoir Gardens. 

3. Balmain: This historic suburb, located in the Inner West, offers a range of waterfront parks, pubs, and restaurants. Visitors can also explore the Balmain Watch House, a former police station and lock-up that now houses a museum. 

4. Chatswood: Located on the North Shore, Chatswood is a bustling commercial center with a range of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options. The suburb is also home to the Chatswood Chase shopping center, the Willoughby Symphony Orchestra, and the Concourse Performing Arts Center. If you’re a foodie, you’ll want to visit the Chatswood Mall Market to find different cuisines from Japan, Malaysia, Greece and many more. 

surry hills australia

5. Surry Hills: A vibrant and diverse neighborhood in the Inner City, Surry Hills offers a range of cafes, bars, and restaurants, as well as a thriving arts and culture scene. Visitors can explore the Surry Hills Markets, the Brett Whiteley Studio, and the Belvoir Street Theatre. This is also where you can find Sydney’s original cat café. 

glebe point australia
Glebe Point

6. Glebe: This bohemian suburb, located in the Inner West, offers a range of boutique shops, vintage stores, and bookshops. Visitors can also explore the historic Glebe Markets, the Jubilee Park outdoor pool, and the University of Sydney's iconic quadrangle. 

7. Newtown: Another Inner West suburb, Newtown is known for its eclectic mix of shops, bars, and live music venues. Visitors can explore the Enmore Theatre, the historic Newtown Station, and the Newtown Festival, a popular community event held every November. 

ocean australia sunset
Cronulla Beach

8. Cronulla: Located in the Sutherland Shire, Cronulla is a beachside suburb that offers stunning ocean views, a range of cafes and restaurants, and a scenic coastal walk from Cronulla Beach to Bass and Flinders Point. 

coogee beach australia
Coogee Beach

9. Coogee: Another popular beachside suburb, Coogee offers a range of coastal walks, parks, and swimming spots. Visitors can explore the Coogee Pavilion, the Wylie's Baths ocean pool, and the famous Coogee to Bondi Coastal Walk. 

10. Parramatta: Located in the Greater Western Sydney region, Parramatta is a vibrant and multicultural suburb that offers a range of historic sites, cultural events, and shopping centers. Visitors can explore the Parramatta Heritage Trail, the Riverside Theatres, and the Parramatta Farmers Market. 

Sydney is a city with a rich diversity of suburbs that offer unique experiences for visitors. From beachside suburbs with stunning ocean views to inner city neighborhoods with trendy shops and cafes, you’ll always have something to do in between classes and cultural activities.