How to Use Your TEFL Certification
CIEE has a few options to offer
Maybe you’re getting TEFL certified with a specific job or destination in mind. Perhaps you’re getting TEFL certified because you want to teach someday, just not yet (good news is that your TEFL certification never expires). Or, maybe you’re doing this on an impassioned whim, wanting to make difference in the world with no idea how.
There are billions of reasons – and multiple ways – to use your TEFL certificate, so if you don’t have all the answers just yet - fear not. We’ve got some ideas.
Take your Practicum Abroad
CIEE’s Destination TEFL programs are a small time commitment, with big results. They are designed to give you in-classroom experience, while building your cultural competence in a foreign region. During your two weeks of practicum you’ll learn from professional ESL mentors, practice teaching, and engage with local communities - all of which will help you transition into a full-time position down the line (should you choose that path).
Teaching English abroad is a life changing experience. Not just for you, but for the people who will grow under your tutelage as well. Giving someone the gift of language is a transcendent experience, and one made all the more rewarding when you immerse yourself in a foreign culture to do it.
If this sounds like the opportunity you have been looking for, here are a few ways to make it happen:
CIEE TEFL is now offering an opportunity to get TEFL-certified and then apply to be a teacher at no additional cost. After completing your TEFL certification, we will match you with a teaching placement in one of four locations, where you will work directly with your school to organize your travel and work details. You will still have a to go through the application process, but with TEFL certification in hand you will definitely stand out from the rest of the pool.
What’s Included: 150-Hour TEFL Certification, Teaching placement in Murcia region, Insurance provided by Spanish government
Eligibility requirements: Native English speaker, Any level of Spanish language proficiency, U.S. or Canadian citizenship, Age 20+
Compensation and Teaching Hours: €875 / month, 15 hours/week
Course Cost: $1,100
CIEE’s Destination TEFL programs are designed to give you in-classroom experience, while building your cultural competence in a foreign region. During your two weeks of practicum (in Czech Republic, England, Italy, Spain, or Thailand) you’ll learn from professional ESL mentors, practice teaching, and engage with local communities - all of which will help you transition into a full time position down the line (should you choose that path).
CIEE Teach Abroad
Teaching abroad with a program provider will give you all the support you’ll need when heading overseas. With all this support comes a price tag, so don’t be surprised when you see program fees attached to their opportunities. There are a number of providers out there, but what can we say? We’re biased - and for good reason. For starters:
- CIEE offers paid teaching positions to university graduates looking to share their language and culture all over the world
- We’ll help get you settled in another country with an orientation upon arrival, pre-departure assistance, 24/7 in-country support, and international insurance (to name a few)
- We offer programs in: Chile, China, Czech Republic, Morocco, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam
- Our 70 years of being in business means we are thoroughly entrenched around the world, with a network of support at your disposal
Discover in-depth details about each of our Teach Abroad programs.
Other ways to teach abroad
Find a Recruiter
For those who want the freedom to find their own way, with just a little bit of help, a recruiter does the following:
- They work for - and are paid by - schools abroad who are seeking teachers like you. Essentially, they take away the hassle of finding a job a long way from home.
- They are NOT required to help you with your visa, or assist you with any potential problems once you’re overseas.
Go Your Own Way
This is as independent as it gets. A few things to keep in mind:
- You will be responsible for finding your own teaching position abroad, via third party websites. Apply, get hired, get going!
- Before you take off, you’ll need your visa. You’ll need to navigate this process and any issues you may face abroad on your own.
- Here’s the real plus: It's free! Your independence will end up saving you a lot of money. Just keep in mind, the assistance you get from providers costs money for a reason -- they’re a valuable resource.
Still have questions?
Want to teach abroad, but you’re not sure which option is right for you? Contact us to:
- Get one-on-one advice on your resume/CV.
- Set up a practice interview.
- Get a jump-start on researching countries for your teach abroad adventure.
Are you a hiring institution looking for TEFL Certified native English speakers? Become an affiliate partner, and begin staffing with confidence. Contact Ally Sobol, TEFL Manager, at email@example.com or 207.553.4171.
Teach at Home
You don’t have to travel the world to make a world of difference. There’s plenty of work to be done in your own backyard. Refugees, immigrants and community members from non-english speaking homes are in need of people like you. If you’re a passionate member of your local community, and are looking to broaden your reach, this may be exactly what you’re looking for.
Nantucket residents are making a difference in their community by getting TEFL Certified.
Just as you’re learning how to teach English online, there are literally billions of people learning to speak and read it the same way. If you’re not in a position to leave the country, and already have a job - or are even looking to make a little extra money in your free time, teaching English online may just be perfect for you. Some benefits at a glance:
- Breadth of opportunity: Millions of people around the world are learning English online
- Competitive pay: earn $14-$22 USD per hour, depending on experience
- Make a difference in the world without uprooting your life
Learn what it’s like to teach online from Kristin M., who is currently teaching English online while living in Italy.
APPLY DIRECTLY FOR JOB OPPORTUNITIES THROUGH OUR LIFETIME JOB ASSISTANCE OPPORTUNITIES OR AFFILIATE PARTNERS
As a CIEE TEFL alumni, you’ll receive lifetime job assistance from us. Wherever or however you would like to use your TEFL certification, CIEE’s expert team is here to help make your teaching dreams a reality!
India: Sagreen InternationalClick to Open
Sagreen International Educational Trust (SIET) is a registered trust in India committed to providing quality teaching and volunteering placements since 1999. Sagreen offers assistance and advice throughout all stages of the job placement process, and also assists with the processing of necessary documents for obtaining a visa.
Not sure which option is right for you?Click to Open
Contact us for one-on-one advice on your resume/CV, set up a practice job interview, or get a jump-start on researching a specific country or city for your teach abroad adventure.
Are you a hiring institution looking for TEFL Certified native English speakers?Click to Open
To discuss becoming an affiliate partner Contact Us