Losing Steam

Meghan M.

I’m four weeks in, and I don’t love this. Well, I love the learning part. I feel like I’m truly retaining the takeaways, and I’m doing well on the quizzes, but the self-motivation piece is really getting to me. This certification feels like a part-time job, and I already have a full-time job. Put them together, and free time becomes TEFL time. I decided to get certified in late fall for this exact reason. I didn’t want to miss out on summer weekend trips, or fall leaf peeps, so I’m dedicating these colder months to my laptop. Still, I miss human interaction, I think it misses me.

Ways I’ve Tried to Combat Lack of Motivation

• Breaking the content into chunks. There are 24 modules, so one at a time right?

Wrong. One module a day, even everyday is still 24 days -two and a half hours each- plus the three assignments and final. That’s 28 days IF you can inspire yourself every.single.day after work. Find me someone who can do that and I’ll still call you a liar.

• Saving inspirational quotes and watching GIFs of dogs

Not working. Only getting me distracted.

Shiba Inu

Corgi

*Don't let your dreams be dreams*

• Going to a coffee shop surrounded by other side-hustlers

Nope. I can’t leave my laptop or take a walk, and even TEA is $4. What is this world?

coffee shop

• Stopping after two modules each day

Better. CIEE recommends you complete no more than two modules each day because otherwise it’s too much information for your brain to absorb

This isn’t meant to be an inspiration post, but one that hopefully helps us realize that we’re all just doing our best.

*Edit: What eventually worked

Sadly, my old standby, last-minute pressure was the winner. After about ten days of shirking responsibilities, I realized I'm leaving for Spain in a week, and got it done. I really enjoyed the later modules because the information was about lesson planning, specific tactics for each reading, writing, listening, and speaking. I feel more prepared to develop diverse lessons, where my students won't just be able to read. So often, "fluency" isn't across the board. A student can read perfectly, but is still nervous when talking. In the end, the only way to get better is to practice, so practice we will. 

The final exam was exhilarating. Stressful, but during it I was completely alert to the fact I was inches from the finish line. Icouldn’t believe all of my hard work was finally going to pay off. When I finished, I went to the “Grades” section of the site, saw that sweet “Pass” on the right hand side, and lost it. !!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally.

This experience was filled with ups and downs, but proved my grit once again. It’s good to set these kinds of goals for ourselves. Goals with tasks linked to physical rewards help us pursue personal growth, while also giving us tangible accolades for our work. What’s better than a certificate, LinkedIn line, and the ability to move to Spain?

Huzzah. MM