How to Contact a Practicum Location

CIEE TEFL

Completing your practicum requirement might seem like the most daunting part of becoming TEFL certified, but don’t forget that its also one of the most useful components! Finding a location to complete your requirement is one of the trickiest parts, but it can always be done. In this article, we’re going to discuss the best practices of connecting your desired practicum location. If you haven’t already found a location, check out our article on how to do so here.

How do I contact a practicum location?

Reaching out to an organization to complete your practicum isn’t very different from contacting any other professional opportunity.  You’re asking them to allow you to volunteer with them in order to gain teaching experience, therefore, you’re going to want to present yourself as a legitimate resource to them. This is mutually beneficial relationship, as much as they are helping you learn, you should be helping them. And, don’t forget to check their website prior to reaching out to make sure they have classes that line up with your schedule.

When you do reach out, you generally have three options:

• By email
  • By phone
  • Drop-in visit

It’s best to have about 3-6 locations in mind before you start contacting, because like any job search, it isn’t wise to put all your eggs in one basket.

By Email

When sending an email, remember to remain professional, friendly and concise.  The main points to include are:

• Introduce yourself
  • Explain why you’re contacting them (you’re enrolled in a CIEE TEFL Certification course, which requires you to carry out 20 practicum hours)
  • Express what you’re hoping to do for them and what you’re hoping to learn from them
  • Attach a document verifying your enrollment

By Phone

Very similar to the email, it is important that in your phone call you include:

• Introduce yourself
  • Request to speak with someone who might be able to help you

If the conversation continues, provide further details regarding your practicum requirements and your availability.

Drop-in Visit

Once again, remain professional, friendly and concise and remember to:

• Introduce yourself
  • Explain why you’re there (you’re enrolled in a CIEE TEFL Certification course, which requires you to carry out 20 practicum hours)
  • Provide a document verifying your enrollment

If the conversation continues, provide further details regarding your practicum requirements and your availability. If you’re completing your certification with CIEE, let them know that we’re happy to contact them if they have any further questions.

Hopefully this article was useful in the best ways to contact a practicum location. Further details can be found when you are enrolled in the CIEE TEFL Certification. Our course provides a complete guide to practicum and provides all the resources you need in order to complete your practicum successfully.