Breaking down the TEFL 60-Hour

Meghan M.

Let’s break it down.

The TEFL 60-hour certification is entirely autonomous. Your teacher is the computer, and the class times are for you to decide. I chose to break the course up into four weeks,with 15 hours per week. This didn’t seem like too much to add to my plate, but enough to keep me from forgetting about it or shirking off responsibility (*Edit: it was too much, it took six weeks).

The course is broken out into six sections, which includes 24 modules. Each module has around nine subsections, with formats ranging from Powerpoints, to discussions, to a graded quiz, and ends with a resources section to further dive into what was just learned.

Sections and Modules:

Pre-Course, Intro to TEFL

Section 1, The World of TEFL

Modules 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4

Assignment 1

Section 2, Key Approaches and Methods

Modules 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5

Section 3, Teaching Vocabulary and Grammar

Modules 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4

Assignment 2

Section 4, Planning Lessons

Modules 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4

Section 5, Teaching Skills

Modules 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6

Assignment 3

Section 6, TEFL and You

Module 6.1

Final Exam

Optional Grammar Module (Do it)

The Modules’ subsections can consist of ten different modes of instruction. Basically, you’re engaging with the information by either reading, listening, or writing.

• Let’s Get Started: Introduces what you’ll learn in this module’s content and key themes
  • The Essentials: Powerpoints to read
  • Test Yourself: Ungraded practice quiz
  • Over to You: Discussion posts
  • How It’s Done: Audio from teachers
  • Let’s Discuss: Discussion posts
  • Trainee Talk: Listening to conversations with current or previous ESL teachers
  • Summing it Up: Summary of the module, this is a downloadable PDF
  • Make the Grade: Graded Quiz, one for each Module
  • Find Out More: Supplementary information and resources about the topic

Pre-Course Module Subsection View

Pre-course module structure

In addition to the graded quizzes at the end of each module, there are three separate, graded writing assignments scattered among the modules. They’re are directly related to what you’ve learned, and are cumulative. This means that the third assignment towards the end of the course will build upon assignments one and two. The graded assignments make up 40% of your final grade.

Finally, there is a two part final. Part one covers sections one through three; part two covers sections four through six. All quizzes, and the final are multiple choice or fill in the blank, so the only short form or long form writing is the three assignments. The final exam makes up 30% of your final grade.

The grading structure is = 30% Quizzes + 40% Graded Assignments + 30% Final Exam.

Let me know if you have any questions about the structure or content. It’s pretty straightforward, but there’s always more hacks to ensure you have the best experience you can. So far, Trainee Talk is my favorite part of the modules because they’re a little canned, but do tell it like it is. Teaching is unpredictable, so it’s helpful to hear anecdotes about how others are tackling problems or particularly difficult aspects of our language.

MM