150-Hour TEFL Certification
Learn to teach, travel, and make a difference
Prepare For All That Lies Ahead.
It’s impossible to plan for everything life will throw at you, especially when you choose a life of immersion. Getting certified with our 150 hour TEFL course ensures you’ll be equipped to take it all on. This 11-week track will prepare you to succeed as a teacher, a community member, an ambassador and citizen of the world. It all starts now.
Course Quick Facts
- Only requirement is English fluency
- Courses start every two weeks
- Online coursework lasts for 11 weeks
- Courses capped at 16 students
- 10-15 hours per week of coursework
- 20 hours of practicum, at home or abroad
- Your certification never expires
What You Will Learn
- Intercultural competency for the classroom
- Language Teaching Methodologies
- Grammar. You’ve already learned this. Now you’ll learn to teach it.
- Speech and conversation activities
- Preparing a lesson plan and classroom management
Download an example of the 150-hour course syllabus.
How You Will Learn
- Learn on Canvas, an online educational tool used by 2,000 school districts across the US.
- Whether you’re an early bird or a night owl, our flexible course allows you to view lessons, read materials, and complete exercises within your schedule.
- You’ll have the same expert tutor by your (virtual) side the entire course. They will hold weekly tutorials to keep the material fresh, while also offering written and video feedback on your progress
- Participate in discussion boards and peer reviews to collaborate and interact with your peers.
2019 GoAbroad Innovation Award Finalist | Innovative TEFL / Teach Abroad Program
This award recognizes innovation in international education and our latest TEFL 3.0 initiative was recognized for its efforts to address the growing need of English teachers who can adapt and teach to a diverse and multicultural student population.
Practicum: Get Experience Before It Gets Real
After completing 11 weeks of online coursework (130 hours), you’ll immerse in a 20 hour practicum to be carried out at home, or in one of our overseas destinations: Czech Republic, England, Italy, Spain, or Thailand. With a certificate, and real world experience under your belt, you will be a top candidate for ESL jobs around the world.
CIEE TEFL has partnered with numerous schools abroad to offer you the opportunity to gain valuable international classroom experience - turning your TEFL certification into an adventure abroad! After you complete your online course work you will depart for a two week program of teaching practice and observation in a foreign classroom, including:
- 40 hours of in-classroom instruction, where you’ll learn from an expert ESL mentor teacher trainor
- 20 hours of in-classroom teaching experience
- Intercultural lessons with a focus on Czech, English, Italian, Spanish, or Thai culture
CIEE TEFL’s practicum abroad options are in addition to the 150-hour certification. By completing this optional program, you will earn a 190-hour TEFL certification. Additional charges will apply to enroll in this program.
After taking this course you will:
- Develop a deeper understanding of the English language (English metacognition)
- Raise your awareness of language-bias (the role of power and privilege of fluency)
- Gain cross-cultural literacy (the relationship between culture and language)
- Improve your skills to adapt to specific needs of your learners
Take your certification further
After you enroll in our 150-hour course, you have the option of adding a job placement in one of four countries. Our TEFL abroad program connects you with our partners in Costa Rica, Spain, Russia, or China and you can apply for a teaching position at no additional cost. Open only for enrollees or alumni of our 150-hour or practicum abroad courses. No additional fees will apply.