The world is your oyster, and TEFL is your accoutrement

Ally Sobol

The first time I ever had an oyster was at Eventide Oyster Company in Portland, ME. I was 25 years old, and just started liking seafood. I was with new friends in a new place, and didn’t want to be that girl who voiced her opinion that oysters are gross (a blanket statement, as I never tried them before).

I don’t know how I got to the point of “I’m just going to try it, can’t be that bad”, but I did, and I loved it, and I’ve been pro-oysters ever since.

What I like most – the accoutrements.

What is an accoutrement you might ask?

When it comes to oysters, it’s cocktail sauce, horseradish ice, red wine mignonette, tabasco ice, kim chee ice, or pickled red onion ice. It’s the sauce, the accessory, the part that makes it good.

When it comes to traveling the world, TEFL is the accoutrement.

Let’s break this down.

One of the best ways to travel the world is to teach English abroad, or teach English online to fund your travels. If you’re not a teacher and don’t want to invest the time and money getting another degree, a TEFL certification is the way to go.

This online course is a much smaller financial investment and time commitment, but a good course will still teach you everything you need to know to be able to Teach English as a Foreign Language.

Bonus – a legitimate certification never expires.

That’s right – this accoutrement has no expiration date so the world can always be your oyster.