Why You Should Teach English in Vietnam

CIEE TEFL

It's a country you will fall in love with. Nestled in Southeast Asia, Vietnam has so much to offer those who visit-- historic sites, quaint cities, beautiful countryside and fresh, authentic food. Teaching in Vietnam will broaden your horizons, keep you on your toes, and give you the ability to immerse yourself in rich culture. Here's why you, too, will adore Vietnam:

the food.

Addicted to pho? Maybe you can't resist a good spring roll (or three). Both are widely available in Vietnam, and fast, fresh, and cheap, too. Give your taste buds a treat and try all of the authentic culinary options available to you. Not familiar with Vietnamese cuisine? This is the perfect place to try! Pho is a very popular broth-based soup with rice noodles, typically thinly-sliced beef (or chicken), and all of the fresh add-ins for your choosing. You can also never go wrong with banh mi. For less than a dollar, enjoy a fresh baguette stuffed with pork, variety of meats, pâté, Vietnamese radish, sliced cucumbers, and cilantro. 

...and the coffee.

The coffee is like nothing you've had before! This coffee is made from very strong, dark-roast coffee, brewed with a small French drip filter into a cup containing a little less than a quarter of sweetened condensed milk, then stirred and poured over ice. The combination of the intense coffee beans with the sweet flavor of the condensed milk makes it such a treat! 

the ease of travel.

Situated in Southeast Asia, there are budget airlines that fly from country to country, as well as bus routes connecting Ho Chi Minh City to Cambodia, and through to Bangkok. What's even better, is the "open bus" ticket you can purchase in Vietnam that allows complete ease of travel from one end to the other. The geographical diversity of Vietnam is eye-opening, and sites range from the breathtaking views of the thousands of islands that comprise Ha Long Bay, to the rugged, mountainous landscape and rice fields in Sapa, to the buzzing and exciting cities of Hanoi and Saigon. 

the european flair.

Hanoi, the country's capital, is situated in the north, and like many cities in Vietnam, has a strong "Europe meets Asia" feel. Not only is the language French-influenced, but you can see it in the cuisine (baguette sandwiches, pastries), the coffee culture, and architecture. You will find roundabouts, bright colors, scooters, and historic cities strewn throughout Vietnam. Hoi An is a quaint city closer to the center of the country, and filled with tailor shops, charming cafes and has a small-town, romantic feel. The country's diversity and outside influences at times can make you question if you are still in Asia.

low cost of living.

The cost of living in Vietnam is very low, and some statistics show that it's at least 50-60% cheaper than the United States. Although, you can make that difference greater by budgeting. Plus, as a TEFL-certified teacher, you will earn an income that will give yourself the ability to criss-cross Southeast Asia.