How to Teach in Ecuador

CIEE TEFL

I want to teach in Ecuador. What do I need to know?

Central and South America are emerging hot spots for English language instruction. Ecuador is home to a friendly population passionate about salsa dancing and fútbol, astounding natural beauty (Mount Chimborazo, the Galápagos Islands, and a portion of the Amazon jungle, just to name a few), and rich culture with Incan and Spanish influences.

Take advantage of the beautiful geography and diverse population by exploring the historic monasteries and churches, taking a hike through the Andes, and trying out a fresh seafood dish in a coastal village. As with most countries in this area of the world, it’s helpful to have some Spanish-speaking skills under your belt before arriving. Most Ecuadorians talk with a slow, clear accent, so it’s a great destination to improve your skills.

What to expect

Overall, expect modest teaching wages Ecuador, but take note that the cost of living is also correspondingly low. Depending on your lifestyle, you may want to arrive with some money saved up for more expensive trips. In the classroom, students will be eager to learn and practice their language skills with you. Return the favor and be sure to practice your Spanish! School systems are mainly modeled on Western teaching methods, so expect to have flexibility in planning lessons and autonomy in your classes.

The climate will vary based on altitude, so don’t assume that every location will be tropical just because Ecuador straddles the equator! There is the slight risk of petty crime – Ecuador is still seen as a developing country, so it’s important to practice common sense. The machismo culture will be very prominent in society, so women especially should be aware of it.

How to get there

The best English schools in Ecuador will require a TEFL certificate combined with an undergraduate degree or teaching experience. If your degree is in education and you are certified to teach in the United States, you may be able to find work in an international school, where the pay is higher. Unless you’re going abroad with a program, it will be very difficult to get a job before leaving for Ecuador – the local culture places great emphasis on in-person interviews. If you do plan on applying independently, check out schools in Quito, Guayaquil, and Cuenca.

Start researching! We’ve compiled a short list of programs and resources that will help you live your teaching dream in Ecuador:

Centers for Interamerican Studies (CEDEI): English-teaching options, language immersion, internships, and international programs. All applying teachers must have a TEFL certification.

Academia Cotopaxi American International School: located in Quito.

Berlitz and InLingua have branches in Quito and Guayaquil.

Dave’s ESL Café: Up-to-date job listings and EFL recourses for positions around the world, including Latin America.

WorldTeach: A year-long volunteer program with placements in Quito.