How To Land A Job Teaching English Abroad

Ally Sobol

If you’re reading this, you’ve either considered teaching English abroad before, or the title hooked you to something you didn’t know was possible.

Either way, landing a job teaching English abroad is a lot easier than you think. There are three main ways to hop on a plane and in front of a classroom full of students:

Teach Abroad Independently

That’s right – you can do this on your own if you’re up for the challenge! You’ll need to put some work into it, but you can find a position teaching abroad on your own, get your visa, hop on a plane, and navigate a new place and culture without assistance.

Pros: It’s free and rewarding! You can be proud that you did this all on your own.

Cons: You have to do it all on your own. Be ready to research the entire visa process, contract negotiation, arrival requirements etc. It’s also important to understand there is always the possibility that you may travel thousands of miles only to find that the position is not what was promised to you.

Teach Abroad With A Recruitment Agency

Recruiters are very popular in places like China and South Korea. This choice will allow you to secure a job without paying a fee, which is attractive, but important to understand that these agencies work for the schools, not for you, so they may not put your interests first.

Pros: It’s free!

Cons: While you may not have to find your own position, it’s likely you’ll need to do almost everything else on your own.

Teach Abroad With A Program Provider

There are companies that set up entire programs to help you teach English abroad, so you can get complete peace of mind throughout the whole process. With CIEE as your program provider, you’ll get job placement and visa guidance, but also:

Pros: You’ll receive complete support, usually including a job placement, visa guidance, help finding housing, international insurance, in-country support, pre-departure support and in-country orientation. This option also gives you a sense of community, as you’ll likely be part of a cohort heading overseas.

Cons: You’re going to pay for this said support. Program providers will charge a program fee to teach English abroad.

My advice to you: do your research! If you feel up to the challenge and want to navigate the process on your own, go for it! If not, there are providers that will help you navigate so you’re not alone. Either way, it IS possible for you to teach English abroad, and take it from an alumni – it’s an experience you’ll never forget!