2nd Monday in Mérida

Diana

ByAfter a fun filled weekend excursion to some cenotes and Chichen Itzá, our young Service Leaders started Monday with more adventures.

We spent the morning reflecting on our experiences from this weekend. We recapped our initial assumptions about the culture in Mérida and how the US may be perceived in other countries. The discussion was fruitful and showed great maturity from our Service Leaders.

Then it was time to relax our minds(at least for most of us!) and do some arts and crafts. There were some perfectionist in our midst, but they in the end admitted to enjoying the activity.

By the time we finished with our paintings, our stomachs told us it was time for yummy almuerzo. Mérida, like many Latin American cities, has beautiful parks. We found one called Parque de las Américas, which has beautiful statues that represent various Caribbean Islands. While we ate lunch at La Concha (the park’s amphitheater), some of our Service Leaders showcased their singing talents. One of our Program Leaders showed off her not-so-musical voice, but the kids were always the supporters. ;)

We spent the rest of the afternoon doing service work and  discovering a profound appreciation for breezes because the humidity here is still a sticky situation for us.