High School Study Abroad Scholarships
Summer 2024 Global Navigator Applications Now Open!
Make High School Study Abroad Affordable for You
Today’s interconnected world requires a range of global competencies—with intercultural awareness and communication skills at the top of the list. That’s why CIEE’s high school summer abroad programs focus on language proficiency, local interactions, and intentional reflection in countries all over the world.
We seek to provide life-changing study abroad experiences to as many motivated high school students as possible. It’s a critical part of our overall mission: to encourage and prepare students to connect and communicate across cultures, and make a positive impact on society, both globally and locally.
What Types of High School Scholarships Can You Apply To?
There are two types of Global Navigator scholarships available:
- Academic Merit Only scholarships cover $500 from your tuition costs (this is the price listed at the top of every high school summer abroad program page of our website). You don’t need to submit your parent(s)'s or legal guardian(s)'s financial information to apply for this scholarship.
- Academic Merit + Financial Need scholarships cover 20% to 100% of your tuition costs. You must submit your parent(s)'s or legal guardian(s)'s financial information to apply for this scholarship.
Applying for a Scholarship
Academic Merit + Financial Need scholarship: Any U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is currently a freshman, sophomore, or junior and residing in the United States may apply. Students may submit a new application each year if they have declined Academic Merit + Financial Need scholarship awards from previous years within the accept/decline window. Students who confirmed travel and cancelled later or who failed to communicate their accept/decline decision within that window are not eligible to apply.
Students who have traveled on an Academic Merit + Financial Need scholarship in previous years are not eligible for the scholarship again. However, they are still eligible for an Academic Merit Only scholarship and an alumni discount.
Academic Merit Only scholarship: All high school students may apply. You can only travel on an Academic Merit scholarship once during your high school career. Returning Academic Merit alumni are welcome to travel without a scholarship in a future year.
1. Click “Apply” or “Apply Now” on any of our high school summer abroad program pages.
2. Once you create an account or log in and start an application, you will be asked: “Do you want to apply for a scholarship?” Select the type of scholarship you’re interested in (Academic Merit + Financial Need or Academic Merit Only).
3. The application will be slightly different when you apply for an Academic Merit + Financial Need scholarship than when you apply for an Academic Merit Only scholarship. For the Academic Merit + Financial Need scholarship, you will select your top three choices for programs (you must include at least 1 Language & Culture program). For the Merit Only scholarship, you will apply directly to your top choice program.
Note: When you apply for an Academic Merit + Financial Need scholarship, we will do our best to award you a scholarship for one of your top choices. However, if program spots have been filled, you may be awarded a scholarship for another program.
During the application process, you will need to provide the following:
- Answers to short essay questions. Read our blog post on how to write a great scholarship essay.
- Your academic transcript for current year
- A teacher recommendation
For Academic Merit + Financial Need scholarships, you will need to provide additional documents:
- Proof of your U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
- A copy of your legal guardian(s)’s most recent 1040 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return form. You will need to enter some key data points from the 1040 in the application.
High school scholarships to study abroad aim to make the cost of studying abroad with CIEE more affordable. CIEE awards millions in scholarship awards each year and scholarships can cover between 10-100% of program tuition based on your family’s finances. Scholarships go towards covering a portion of program tuition (this is the price listed on every high school summer abroad program page of our website).
The program tuition includes your:
- 3 meals/day
- Ground transportation (once in-country)
- Access to local phone and WIFI
- Excursions and cultural activities
- Travel medical protection
- 24/7 on-site support
- and more
Note:Scholarship money cannot cover the cost of airfare to and from the country, passport or visa fees, or personal spending money. To make your study abroad experience even more affordable, see our fundraising section.
All our CIEE Global Navigator High School Summer Abroad programs offer scholarships. Our Multi-Destination program "Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation in Europe" only offers Merit Only scholarships.
Note that 90% of Academic Merit and Financial Need scholarships are awarded to Language & Culture programs. To give yourself the best chance of receiving a scholarship, list at least two Language & Culture program choices on your Academic Merit and Financial Need scholarship application.
If you need financial aid to be able to participate on program and can meet the eligibility requirements, you should apply for the Academic Merit + Financial Need scholarship. Remember, you must be a U.S. citizen/permanent resident, and completing freshman, sophomore or junior year the academic year before the program to be eligible for this scholarship.
If you don’t have a financial need or you have received an Academic Merit + Financial scholarship in the past, you should apply for the Academic Merit Only scholarship.
All scholarship applications are due January 24, 2024 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Scholarship announcements will go out the week of February 19. If you are applying for an Academic Merit Only scholarship award, your application will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis through January 24. You will receive a decision on your scholarship award within 1-2 weeks of completing your scholarship application.
If you have any questions, please contact your school or email CIEE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All scholarships are competitive. Applications are reviewed by an independent review board. The quality of your application is based on your transcript, GPA, teacher recommendation, and your essays. For those applying for Academic Merit and Financial Need scholarships, the scholarship award amount is determined by the tax form provided in the application. Receiving any amount of scholarship funding means you had a strong, competitive application!
You must ask for a recommendation from any teacher who has had you in class for at least six months and is not related to you. You can choose any teacher from any subject. They don’t have to teach the language/subject of the high school summer program you’re interested in. Choose the teacher that knows you best.
Note: It will be your responsibility to make sure your teacher receives the recommendation form (we will send it by email) and completes it by the scholarship deadline.
Academic Merit + Financial Need scholarship announcements will go out the week of February 19. You will have 7 days after announcements go out to accept or decline the award. If you decide to travel, a $1,000 acceptance deposit will be due at that time.
Academic Merit Only scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis, typically within two weeks of submitting your application.
We award millions in scholarship funds every year. These scholarships are competitive based on academic performance. If you have a strong academic track record, we strongly encourage you to apply!
Historically, more scholarship money is awarded to students in our Language & Culture programs. If you’re interested in High School Summer Abroad Language & Culture programs, you may have a really good chance.
If you do not receive a scholarship but you still want to travel with us, give us a call at 1-866-583-0332. We can talk about program availability and the process of traveling without a scholarship.
If you are unable to travel without a scholarship, we encourage you to apply again next year if you are still eligible.
We have a few resources that can help you get through the entire application process.
- Visit our Application Support page for step-by-step instructions on completing your application.
- Join weekly Virtual Presentations to connect with our team as we walk you and other high school students through our programs and application process.
- Check out our Scholarship FAQs. It’s a useful and printable resource that goes more in depth into scholarship eligibility requirements and the overall process.
- Scholarship money cannot be applied to your airfare to and from the country, your passport or visa fees (if required), or your personal spending money. Check out airfare prices before applying to a specific program. This will help you and your legal guardian make the best choices based on your budget. For example, a flight to Mexico or the Dominican Republic can be half the price of flying to Spain!
- You will be responsible for paying the cost of program tuition that is not covered by your scholarship.
- For fundraising advice, see our fundraising section.
What Students Are Saying
“Because of the great scholarship opportunities given by CIEE, I would recommend high school summer abroad programs to my low-income peers who don’t believe that study abroad is possible for them.”
Ruhi S. | Global Navigator Alum | Spanish Language & Culture in Seville, Spain
“CIEE helped me achieve one of my lifelong goals of traveling to Paris. I would have never been able to afford the trip out on my own, but CIEE helped me get a scholarship!”
Lorena C. | Global Navigator Alum | French Language & Culture in Paris, France
“CIEE gives out a lot of scholarships, so if you can’t afford to go, you're very likely to get the money to make it possible. The high school summer abroad programs are really great and an amazing opportunity to study abroad.”
Josef S. | Global Navigator Alum | French Language & Culture in Toulouse, France
“As someone who received a scholarship and someone from a family who struggles financially, it was more than worth it!”
Hala A. | Global Navigator Alum | Leadership & Service in Youth Development in Mohammedia, Morocco
Good to Remember!
- Your scholarship award is applied directly to your account and goes toward your CIEE high school summer abroad program tuition for a single summer session.
- Students who have received a Global Navigator Scholarship for a previous summer are not eligible to apply.
- Scholarship decisions are awarded to a specific program and session and decisions are final.
- Scholarships are not transferable to another program or session.
- For general program information and to view our program terms and conditions, check out our High School Summer Abroad FAQs.