Information for term Spanish Language & Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 10 – Jul 7, 2018 (4 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 8 – Aug 4, 2018 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Grow your Spanish in this lively capital with one of Europe’s richest art pedigree.
Spend a month in magical Madrid and add a whole new dimension to your knowledge of the Spanish language.
CIEE experts will take you into the nooks and crannies of Madrid, far beyond the tourist trail. You’ll meet local artists and artisans, shop where residents shop, cycle through neighborhoods, and taste the city’s incredible cuisine. After daily language classes, you’ll practice your Spanish vocabulary in the community on walks with your program leader, a U.S.-based Spanish teacher, and hang out with local high school students.
Your home-away-from-home will be a huge learning experience in and of itself. You’ll live with a local host family, practicing Spanish as you prepare and share meals, shop at local markets, hang out with your host "siblings,” and soak in the culture all around you.
60 hours of instruction in Spanish by CIEE professors
4 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college
A certificate of language learning in Spanish, and documented language growth through pre- and post- program testing
Location & CultureClick to Open
Live like a Spaniard in vibrant Madrid.
The capital of Spain is one of the largest cities in Europe. Madrid is a cultural hub of art, fashion and sport, and home to many world-famous art museums and two of the best soccer clubs in the world.
Madrid is full of vibrant people who love going out, dining out, and enjoying the city. There’s a huge shopping district selling anything and everything. In short, there’s no shortage of things to do!
Food options abound, as Madrid is considered a melting pot of cuisines from all over Spain. Fried squid sandwiches and churros with chocolate are perennial student favorites. Try some pig ears if you dare!
Daily LifeClick to Open
"Next, we had the chance to eat authentic paella overlooking rice fields in Albufera, a small gulf outside of Valencia. ..."
Learn more about daily life on this program.
Carefully Screened Host Family
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Take a guided walking tour of Spain’s cosmopolitan capital city.
- View graffiti art, wall murals, and street performances – all part of Madrid's vibrant urban art scene.
- Visit the home of Impressionist painter Joaquín Sorolla.
- Bike on cobblestone walkways along the Manzanares River and catch great views of Madrid’s historic bridges and buildings.
- Kayak in the waters of Hoces del Rio Duratón Natural Park.
- In Granada, you’ll tour the Alhambra/ Albayzín region, marveling at the spectacular medieval architecture and the grandeur of the Alhambra, a massive Moorish castle. We will also visit one of Granada’s many beautiful beaches.
- Travel to the old city of Segovia, home to original Roman aqueducts, Gothic cathedrals, and even a former royal palace.
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- At least one year of High School Spanish. For intensive language immersion, see our Alicante or Palma de Mallorca programs.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Optional College Credit Fee
$100 Learn more
|Summer Session I 2018 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 10, 2018||Jul 7, 2018||
|Summer Session II 2018 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 8, 2018||Aug 4, 2018||