Information for term Spanish Language & Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 12 – Jul 9, 2022 (4 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 10 – Aug 6, 2022 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Grow your Spanish in this lively capital with one of Europe’s richest art pedigree.
Spend a month in magical Madrid and add a whole new dimension to your knowledge of the Spanish language.
CIEE experts will take you into the nooks and crannies of Madrid, far beyond the tourist trail. You’ll meet local artists and artisans, shop where residents shop, cycle through neighborhoods, and taste the city’s incredible cuisine. After daily language classes, you’ll practice your Spanish vocabulary in the community on walks with your program leader, a U.S.-based Spanish teacher, and hang out with local high school students.
Your home-away-from-home will be a huge learning experience in and of itself. You’ll live with a local homestay, practicing Spanish as you prepare and share meals, shop at local markets, hang out with your host "siblings,” and soak in the culture all around you.
LANGUAGE & CULTURAL PROFICIENCY
Call Madrid home for 4 weeks and come back with increased language proficiency and a greater understanding of the Spanish way of life. Bring home life stories to remember your cultural experiences. Demonstrate your language growth through a test before and after your program. On average across our programs, students learn in four weeks what U.S. high school students learn in one year.
Earn 4 college credits to either apply toward your future college degree, or to use to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or test out of a language level in college!
LIFELONG SKILLS AND FRIENDSHIPS
After just 4 weeks away, you'll build self-confidence, gain a broader world view, improve your interpersonal communication skills and make lifelong friends from all across the U.S.
Location & CultureClick to Open
Live like a Spaniard in vibrant Madrid.
The capital of Spain is one of the largest cities in Europe. Madrid is a cultural hub of art, fashion and sport, and home to many world-famous art museums and two of the best soccer clubs in the world.
Madrid is full of vibrant people who love going out, stroll the big parks, eat tapas, and enjoying the city. There’s a huge open-air market, El Rastro, selling anything and everything In short, there’s no shortage of things to do!
Food options abound, as Madrid is considered a melting pot of cuisines from all over Spain. Fried squid sandwiches and churros with chocolate are perennial student favorites. Try some pig ears if you dare!
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Madrid.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Every day brings new discoveries and fun, but you can always count on a perfect balance between interactive instruction, excursions and free time! Here's what to expect on a typical day:
- 7:00 am: Get up and have breakfast at your homestay
- 8:00 am: Commute to CIEE for your language class, using public transportation
- 9:00 am - 12:00 pm: Interactive language class in small groups, with a local teacher
- 12:00 pm - 12:45 pm: Practice in the streets what you just learned in class, through short activities and challenges led by your program leader in small groups
- 12:45 pm - 1:30pm: Find a fun spot to grab lunch with your friends (your program tuition includes a stipend for lunches).
- 1:30 pm - 2:00 pm: Gather back at CIEE to go on today's cultural activity or excursion.
- 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Each activity or excursion is designed to echo what you learned in class that morning.
- 5:00 pm - 7:00pm: Free time! Hang out with your friends and shop. Commute home.
- 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Recount your day at dinner and try to use your new vocabulary!
- 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm: Wrap up your day with jotting down some notes in your reflection journal and get your homework done before the next day. Usually just readings and personal research for your weekly project.
- 10:00 pm: Lights out!
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog posts below.
Carefully Screened Homestay, grouped by neighborhoods
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Take a guided walking tour of Spain’s cosmopolitan capital city.
- View graffiti art, wall murals, and street performances – all part of Madrid's vibrant urban art scene.
- Visit the home of Impressionist painter Joaquín Sorolla.
- Bike on cobblestone walkways along the Manzanares River and catch great views of Madrid’s historic bridges and buildings.
- Go for group hike and picnic in the National Park of Guadarrama mountains
- Travel to the old city of San Lorenzo del Escorial, visit the Golden Age royal palace and the pantheon of Spanish Kings.
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances, covid-related measures and restrictions and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- At least one year of High School Spanish.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
Optional College Credit Fee
$150 Learn more
|Summer Session I 2022 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 12, 2022||Jul 9, 2022||
|Summer Session II 2022 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 10, 2022||Aug 6, 2022||