Spanish Language & Culture
Language Growth and Cultural Competence
Come home with a higher level of Spanish and a greater understanding of Spanish culture. Use your STAMP 4S language proficiency pre- and post-test scores to demonstrate your language growth and help you earn a Seal of Biliteracy.
Choose to earn 4 college credits toward your future college degree. Take advantage of the credits to stand out on your college applications or to satisfy college language requirements.
Lifelong Skills and Friendships
Return with greater self-confidence, independence, and adaptability. Enjoy a broader worldview and diverse friendships from across the U.S.
Hours Of Instruction With A Native Spanish Teacher
Welcome to Madrid, a cultural hub for art, fashion, food, and sports.
With world-famous museums and soccer clubs, Madrid opens its arms to visitors of all kinds. In the exciting capital of Spain, stunning architecture, exquisite art, and historic sites will inspire you. The 9th-century Moorish Palacio Real, with its 3,148 rooms, is the largest royal palace in Western Europe. The famous 18th-century Museo del Prado has over 8,000 paintings, including works by Spanish greats Velazquez and Goya. El Retiro, the lung of Madrid, is a massive, peaceful green park in the heart of the city—row around the lake with your friends and go inside the Glass Palace sparkling in the sun!
Spain’s vibrant culture is on display all around, from the shops and markets, like the open-air market El Rastro, which sells anything and everything, to the cafés of its charming neighborhoods. Here, tasty food options abound. Madrid is considered a melting pot of cuisines from all over Spain. Fried squid sandwiches and churros con chocolate are student favorites. There are also tapas for every taste!
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Madrid.
Weekly Learning Goals
Just imagine all the fun you’ll have!
- Row a boat at Retiro Park or bike along the Manzanares River where madrileños find tranquility from the bustle of the city.
- Wander from room to room at the house-museum of impressionist painter Joaquín Sorolla, known for colorful landscapes inspired by his Valencian roots.
- Take a day trip to Segovia with its incredible 1st-century Roman aqueduct, and visit the castle that inspired Disney, the Alcázar de Segovia.
- Waltz and count your steps as you practice dancing sevillanas, a traditional flamenco folk dance. Challenge your coordination with castanets!
- In Valencia, taste traditional paella at a restaurant surrounded by rice fields and hop on a boat to tour L’Albufera Lake.
Please note activities are based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when arranging activities is always to enhance your experience.
What Students Are Saying
"I had such a good time studying in Madrid. I was able to practice/improve my Spanish 10x over and I met some of the best people ever!"
Jack C., Global Navigator Alum
"My trip to Madrid was phenomenal. Loved the friendly staff, my homestay, the meals, the activities... Everything went according to plan and I had a memorable experience."
Arturo S., Global Navigator Alum
"The program really helped me with my Spanish and all the activities were very fun! I met so many new people and have become much more independent."
Nicole K., Global Navigator Alum
"Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime experience and it really impacts your life for the better. Learning is so much better outside of a classroom. Also, this program gives you a chance to meet new people and see new things."
Shivani D., Global Navigator Alum
Dates & Fees
- Participants must be 14 years old and above.
- Program open to all current high school students—Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors—who have completed at least one year of high school Spanish. Students who have completed at least two years of high school Spanish may qualify for the Honors Language & Culture program in Madrid or Seville.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our scholarship page.
For more information, refer to the detailed Program Essential Eligibility Criteria.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
Optional College Credit Fee
Learn more about how to get college credit for your future college degree.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. Find additional details about what’s included with your tuition.
|Program Summer Session I 2024 4 weeks
|Program Summer Session II 2024 4 weeks
(Dietary Needs Accommodated)
All Ground Transportation
Optional Flight Chaperone
(Flight Cost Not Included)
Pre-departure Advice and Orientation
Access to Local Phone and WIFI
All Cultural Activities and Excursions
Comprehensive Medical and Travel Protection
24/7 Emergency On-site Support
Eero Jesurun, Ph.D. completed his B.S. and M.A degrees from Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service. Eero studied at the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid where he obtained a Ph.D...