Say what?

Marina T.

Since I've been living in the United States, I started noticing that they use a lot of expressions. I’ve been writing down the ones I like the most and thought it would be nice and maybe useful to share.

• Stay warm - Common expression used on winter, I've seen it a lot as a way to end emails/ conversations.
  • You bet – An informal way of saying you’re welcome after someone thanks you.
  • On my plate - Responsibilities or tasks that you have, often used as "I have a lot on my plate", meaning they have a lot to do.
  • Right on - Informal way of positively affirming or supporting something. It can mean cool or “you got it”.
  • Play it by the ear - To make a decision spontaneously, according to the situation.
  • Bear with me - Expression used to ask someone for patience, to hear them out.
  • I hear you - Understanding someone's opinion, used even when you do not agree.
  • Off the hook - To be freed from an obligation.
  • Peace of cake - Easy!
  • Scoot over - Make space for someone else, like on a chair for example.
  • Sleep on it - Having more time to think about something before making a decision. 
  • Under the weather - Feeling ill, sick.
  • Give a heads up - Give a warning that something is going to happen, so you are prepared.

I could go on and on, but I think those can give you an idea of the way Americans use expressions. Hope you enjoyed this!

Make sure to check the Exchanges Blog regularly to read more about Marina's experience!

For more information on the CIEE Professional Career Training USA program, please visit our website.