How to meet new people?

Marina T.

Sometimes it can be hard being at a new town with a different culture and not knowing anyone. What helps a lot is surrounding yourself with people you can be comfortable with and count on. I'm at a place where I can say I have a lot of friends, but how did I get there?

First of all and most importantly is the interaction with coworkers/ housemates. Participating on activities with them is the first step to expanding your network. Saying yes and getting out of your comfort zone can be hard on the beginning, but can also lead to a very positive outcome. Some of my best friends here were introduced to me by someone else, and not a person whom I directly worked with.

Getting involved in group activities is also a great way to meet people that have the same interests as you. You can find online groups to hike with, learn/ practice languages, discuss topics of your interest, go out drinking, LGBQT+ groups, etc. A great platform I found for that is called Meetup, they have all sorts of groups, I recommend checking it out. Also you can always get involved in classes - from courses at the local university, to dancing or cooking. Lastly, volunteering is a great way to help out and meet people at the same time.

I guess the main conclusion is to be opened and try new things. At the end, even if some of them do not work out, I'm sure it will be worth the experience. Then hopefully, little by little, you will build your own group of people to call your family away from home!