Bike Hunt Through Beautiful Borgheses

Connecting Italian Art, History & Culture

Frieda Gebert

Hi there! My name is Catie Skinner and I am a student here in the Exploring Rome through the Arts program.

Today we explored the Galleria Borghese. It is full of ancient Roman sculptures and paintings by artists such as Bernini and Caravaggio. Every inch of each room was covered with beautiful colors and designs. One of my personal favorite pieces was “Apollo and Daphne” by Bernini.

After an exciting walk through the Galleria Borghese we headed to a group lunch at a nearby restaurant. Today was the first day we had sandwiches for lunch. We were very pleased about this. We had delicious muffins for dessert and then moved on to our “Bike hunt” in the Villa Borghese. Each of us road around on our bikes in search of various monuments and statues. There were many beautiful photo opportunities around the park, including our last stop where we took a group picture.

After a long day of exercise we headed over to a nearby Zoo and sat in the shade to have our short Italian lesson for the day. We then walked our way back to the park where we played soccer, frisbee, took naps on blankets, and even went for boat rides on a small pond! It was a relaxing end to our excursion for the day.

We took the subway back to the stop near our hotel. We usually have a couple hours of rest before dinner when we relax, do homework and most important, shower. It was VERY hot today. We had a pizza buffet for dinner along with cake for dessert. After dinner we met up on the beautiful terrace to discuss our favorite parts of the trip so far. Can you believe we are already halfway through?

Today was an action packed and exciting day. I hope this gives you a glimpse of what our days are like here in Rome! Thank you for reading!

Catie Skinner