Connecting Italian Art, History & Culture
Create a diverse array of visual art and discover Rome through the lens of an art historian! Gain skills in both ancient and modern techniques. Come home with a portfolio showcasing your creativity.
Credentials for Your Future
Topics for your college essays, experience to inform your future career, a portfolio to document your increasing artistic literacy and to showcase your work in varied media and techniques.
Life Skills and New Friendships
Return with greater self-confidence, independence, and adaptability. Enjoy a broader worldview and diverse friendships from across the U.S.
Hours Of Expert Instruction
Weeks Pursuing Your Passion
Welcome to Rome, the Eternal City, a living history of Western civilization.
Nestled in the heart of Italy along the Tiber River, Rome stands as a celebration of human creativity. Its history spans 3,000 years, making it one of the oldest and best-preserved cities in the world. But there's more to Rome than its famous landmarks like the Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and Vatican. The true beauty is in how these architectural wonders blend seamlessly with modern life.
Bustling streets are lined with quaint cafés and trendy boutiques. Traditional family-owned restaurants, trattorias, serve delicious pasta dishes, and gelaterias have unique, mouthwatering flavors. When in need of a break from the urban hustle, you can cool off at vast parks like Villa Borghese, surrounded by both breathtaking art and natural beauty, or Rome’s world-class museums, which house astonishing masterpieces—from ancient times to the Renaissance, Baroque, and contemporary periods!
Every corner of Rome offers a diverse array of experiences bound to spark exciting ideas for a young artist like you.
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Rome.
Weekly Learning Goals
Just imagine all the fun you’ll have!
- Show off your artistry painting with water-based pigments on damp plaster in a hands-on Fresco Workshop, a true test of an artist’s skill!
- Explore the Colosseum, the largest amphitheater ever built, displaying the power and might of the Roman Empire.
- Choose your favorite artwork in Florence, home to Michelangelo's David and works from other Italian masters like Donatello, Bramante, and Botticelli. Learn about the rivalry between Rome and Florence during the Renaissance.
- Step inside the Sistine Chapel and admire one of the most fascinating works of art ever, both for its size and the quality of its frescoes and paintings.
- Spend the day surrounded by movie magic and heart-pounding rides at Italy’s largest theme park, Cinecittà World, dedicated exclusively to the world of films.
Please note activities are based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when arranging activities is always to enhance your experience.
What Students Are Saying
“As we learned about the techniques of art in class and the history of Rome, we were able to experience both firsthand. There are not enough words to describe how amazing and transforming this experience was.”
Annie L., CIEE Global Navigator Alum
“I had an amazing experience and couldn’t ask for anything better. In Rome, I met other students with similar interests and the same mindset despite coming from very different backgrounds! And the skills and lessons I’ve learned here are really things you can’t find anywhere else.”
Paige W., CIEE Global Navigator Alum
“The entire experience was very memorable, though if I had to choose my favorite, I’d say our trip to Florence. I also loved getting to know others on the program and the bonds we formed.”
Angelia F., CIEE Global Navigator Alum
“I had the most amazing summer experience of my life, and I would definitely recommend because I want other people to experience what I experienced in Rome!”
Leule L., CIEE Global Navigator Alum
Dates & Fees
- Participants must be 14 years old and above.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our scholarship page.
For more information, refer to the detailed Program Essential Eligibility Criteria.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. Find additional details about what’s included with your tuition.
|Program Summer Session I 2024 3 weeks
|Program Summer Session II 2024 3 weeks
(Dietary Needs Accommodated)
All Ground Transportation
Optional Flight Chaperone
(Flight Cost Not Included)