Information for term Chinese Language & Taiwanese Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Extended DeadlineApril 15, 2023
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: April 15, 2023
- Dates: Jun 11 – Jul 8, 2023 (4 weeks)
Extended DeadlineMay 15, 2023
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: May 15, 2023
- Dates: Jul 9 – Aug 5, 2023 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Take your talent in Mandarin to the next level in the urban metropolis of Taipei.
Accelerate your Mandarin with four weeks of language immersion in Taipei, the heart of Taiwan. After language classes, dive into Mandarin conversations out in the streets, markets, restaurants, and on expert-guided excursions. Enjoy traditional sports like martial arts—learn about the values of honor, hard work, and respect with a Kung Fu master. Try traditional cooking—like dumpling-making. In painting and calligraphy class, use various brush techniques and deepen your interest in Chinese expression.
In this setting, your Mandarin language skills will soar. You’ll forge new friendships, too, and improve your cultural competence in countless ways. Hit the road to the small mountain village and old gold-mining town of Jiufen. Overnight excursions take you to Tainan, Taiwan’s first and oldest city—with more than 1,000 Buddhist and Taoist temples—where you’ll explore the gardens at Koxinga Ancestral Shrine and visit the Tianhou Temple, Taiwan’s oldest temple. Rich experiences in and out of Taipei will steep you in Taiwanese culture—food, art, architecture, natural beauty, and history.
LANGUAGE GROWTH AND CULTURAL COMPETENCE
Come home with a higher level of Mandarin and a greater understanding of Taiwanese culture. Use your STAMP 4S language proficiency pre- and post-test scores to demonstrate your language growth and help you earn a Seal of Biliteracy.
Earn 4 college credits toward your future college degree. Take advantage of the credits to stand out on your college applications or to satisfy college language requirements.
LIFE SKILLS AND NEW FRIENDSHIPS
Return with greater self-confidence, independence, and adaptability. Enjoy a broader worldview and friends of different backgrounds from across the U.S.
HOURS OF INSTRUCTION WITH A NATIVE MANDARIN TEACHER60
Location & CultureClick to Open
Welcome to Taipei, to ancient landscapes and modern skylines.
This bustling, modern capital city is located on the northern tip of the island of Taiwan. Existing for centuries without a central authority, Taipei was founded in the early 18th century by Chinese immigrants. Today, despite its futuristic feel, nature parks are spread out all over the city. Green spaces, like the Taipei Botanical Garden, create an ideal and healthy living environment for its residents.
Situated on the Tan-shui river, in the low mountains about 15 miles from the Pacific Ocean, it hosts a broad range of plants, animals, and beautiful beaches. With street-food stalls at every turn, delicious traditional dishes like the Taiwanese hamburger gua bao, the dessert aiyu jelly, and, of course, boba tea are always steps away. Out exploring its streets, you’ll look up and marvel at all the unique buildings. Inspired by ancient China in its design, the Taipei 101, the tallest building in the world until 2009, is an incredible place for views of the city—there, you may even catch a concert!
Daily LifeClick to Open
Each day offers a balance between interactive instruction and cultural activities with time on your own, too. Morning classes and afternoon activities may swap places.
- Breakfast at the hotel or a local restaurant
- Engaging Mandarin classes with expert language instructors, all native speakers
- Lunch in the community with your fellow Global Navigators
- Out and about for authentic conversations in the community and a Cultural Activity
- Dinner and evening discussions with language instructors and conversation buddies
- Overnight or day excursions to top sites
- Quality time with friends
Hotel, shared rooms with other Global Navigators
1 Program Leader for every 12 students and support from local staff
ActivitiesClick to Open
Just imagine all the fun you’ll have!
- Grab a brush, some ink, and paper or silk and practice traditional Chinese painting techniques and calligraphy, too.
- Hike up the mountain to see the cliffs overlooking the sea in the small and historic village of Jiufen. Stroll its winding alleys, full of street-food stalls, teahouses, and breathtaking views.
- Practice your kicks, punches, and defensive stances in martial arts class with a Kung Fu master’s customized training.
- Immerse yourself in Tainan city, Taiwan’s first and oldest city and an ideal place to explore Chinese culture, tradition, and language. Snack on local flavors and enjoy the vibrant energy of its renowned Garden Night Market.
- Pan for gold at the Gold Museum, the first ecology museum in the country. Take a trip through the country’s history of mining.
- Explore Taiwan’s culinary traditions and participate in a cooking workshop. Learn the tricks to make the perfect dumplings.
Please note activities are based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when arranging activities is always to enhance your experience.
What Students Are Saying
"Meeting a girl at the mall and communicating with her using Mandarin was an amazing memory. We made a really close bond."Dora T., Global Navigator Alum
"It's a great way to learn about the language, culture, and environment within only a few weeks. I learned about the lifestyles of citizens and experienced it myself from food to transportation. I also was lucky to have spent the trip with an amazing array of students my age as well. A truly life changing experience."Michelle H., Global Navigator Alum
"The program was a great opportunity to not only learn Mandarin but also gave me the opportunity to build long lasting friendships/relationships."Corrie B., Global Navigator Alum
"This is the perfect opportunity for anyone who would like to study abroad in a place with culture different from their own. I loved hanging out with the people in the program."Rodrick M., Global Navigator Alum
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- All proficiency levels
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
OPTIONAL COLLEGE CREDIT FEE
Learn more about how to get college credit for your future college degree
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. Find additional details about what’s included with your tuition.
More questions? Find answers, get application support, sign up for virtual presentations or contact us.
|Summer Session I 2023 4 weeks||Apr 15, 2023||Jun 11, 2023||Jul 8, 2023||
|Summer Session II 2023 4 weeks||May 15, 2023||Jul 9, 2023||Aug 5, 2023||