Spanish Language & Culture
Language Growth and Cultural Competence
Come home with a higher level of Spanish and a greater understanding of Spanish culture. Use your STAMP 4S language proficiency pre- and post-test scores to demonstrate your language growth and help you earn a Seal of Biliteracy.
Choose to earn 4 college credits toward your future college degree. Take advantage of the credits to stand out on your college applications or to satisfy college language requirements.
Lifelong Skills and Friendships
Return with greater self-confidence, independence, and adaptability. Enjoy a broader worldview and diverse friendships from across the U.S.
Hours of Instruction With A Native Spanish Teacher
Welcome to Barcelona, a stylish city with distinctive, imaginative buildings that look straight out of a Dr. Seuss book.
Barcelona, the second largest city in Spain after Madrid, has its own unique personality, known more for rock music than flamenco. Whimsical architecture makes a walk down its boulevards feel far from ordinary—Gaudí’s incomparable work is on display everywhere, from the intricate sculptures and towering spires of La Sagrada Familia—the most-visited monument in Spain—to Casa Milà (La Pedrera) and Parc Güell. Art lovers flock to Barcelona’s dozens of famous museums, like The Picasso Museum, which houses its collection inside five medieval mansions.
Trendy cafés, bakeries, and restaurants line the streets where food lovers can enjoy traditional Catalan and Spanish cuisine, including tapas, seafood, paella, and sweet and savory pastries. Now among the top 10 fashion capitals of the world, Barcelona offers fashion and shopping districts that rival those of Paris. After a day of exploring, you can always escape the busy center and head to La Barceloneta beach to swim or to Montjuic mountain for breathtaking views of the Mediterranean coast.
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Barcelona.
Weekly Learning Goals
For the last two weekends, students have had the opportunity to visit Empuries, the site of ancient Greek and Roman ruins. On the same day, they spent some time kayaking... keep reading
Just imagine all the fun you’ll have!
- Behold Barcelona’s soccer obsession with a stop at the famous FC Barcelona Stadium, Camp Nou, and see all the trophies the club has won!
- Lose yourself inside Casa Milà (La Pedrera), a complete work of art inside and out, and one of Gaudi’s most iconic buildings.
- Uncover the secrets of Spanish cuisine in a tapas workshop. Learn to cook traditional favorites like patatas bravas and tortilla española.
- Tour the Barceloneta, a former fishing neighborhood, with the old harbor on one side and sandy beaches on the other.
- Enjoy a hike in the Serra de Collserola Natural Park, the largest green space in Barcelona, 22 times bigger than New York’s Central Park!
- Bask in the ancient and medieval heritage of Catalonia at Empúries, ranked by UNESCO as one of the world’s most beautiful archaeological sites.
Please note activities are based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when arranging activities is always to enhance your experience.
What Students Are Saying
“My most memorable experience was our trip to the Sagrada Familia. This is because it’s a monument I have always wanted to see. I got to go with my friends and explore the inside with a tour guide as well!”
Christopher C., CIEE Global Navigator Alum
“It's been a full month with my host family and friends but I feel like I've known them for so much longer! I'm extremely grateful for this experience in Barcelona and would recommend to friends.”
Alison F., CIEE Global Navigator Alum
"It was a great and life changing experience for me. I met amazing people in Barcelona and the teacher and staff were really nice. I learned so much through this program and it’s an experience not many people get to have.”
Aliana J., CIEE Global Navigator Alum
“CIEE is the perfect opportunity for a high schooler to study abroad. It’s like a trial period for living abroad. The time we take for classes also helps improve our language skills more than just living in the city would on its own.”
Mikaela E., CIEE Global Navigator Alum
Dates & Fees
- Program open to all current high school students—Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors—who have completed at least one year of high school Spanish. Students who have completed at least two years of high school Spanish may qualify for the Honors Language & Culture program in Madrid or Seville.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our scholarship page.
For more information, refer to the detailed Program Essential Eligibility Criteria.
Optional College Credit Fee
Learn more about how to get college credit for your future college degree.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. Find additional details about what’s included with your tuition.
|Program Summer Session I 2024 4 weeks||Start Date||End Date||Costs $7,250|
|Program Summer Session II 2024 4 weeks||Start Date||End Date||Costs $7,250|
(Dietary Needs Accommodated)
All Ground Transportation
Optional Flight Chaperone
(Flight Cost Not Included)