Spanish Language & Culture
Language Growth and Cultural Competence
Come home with a higher level of Spanish and a greater understanding of Spanish culture. Use your STAMP 4S language proficiency pre- and post-test scores to demonstrate your language growth and help you earn a Seal of Biliteracy.
Choose to earn 4 college credits toward your future college degree. Take advantage of the credits to stand out on your college applications or to satisfy college language requirements.
Lifelong Skills and Friendships
Return with greater self-confidence, independence, and adaptability. Enjoy a broader worldview and diverse friendships of different backgrounds from across the U.S.
Hours of instruction with a native Spanish teacher
Welcome to Alicante, bathed in historic landmarks, pristine beaches, and endless sunshine.
Nestled on the Costa Blanca coastline, Alicante’s history stretches back thousands of years. The first inhabitants arrived from Central Europe around the 3rd millennium B.C., settling on the slopes of Mount Benacantil, where the Santa Barbara Castle stands today. In the centuries that followed, Greeks, Romans, and Moors took turns ruling the area. At the MARQ archeology museum, one of your excursions, you’ll discover how these ancient civilizations shaped the city!
With its 330 days of sunshine a year, Alicante is one of the most popular destinations in Spain. There’s plenty to enjoy—from the ancient ruins to the stunning beaches of San Juan and Postiguet and the tasty local flavors, like paella alicantina, horchata, and local fruit: nísperos, granadas, and cerezas. As you stroll the Explanada de España, the city's palm-lined, half-mile-long promenade, you'll be stepping on 6.5 million marble floor tiles that mimic ocean waves. Here, walking along Mediterranean Sea, find musicians and street performers as you shop for unique, handmade crafts.
Weekly Learning Goals
Just imagine all the fun you’ll have!
- Explore the Santa Barbara Castle, one of Spain’s largest medieval fortresses and Alicante’s most important monument.
- Cook authentic Spanish dishes with your friends and make traditional ceramics with a local artist.
- Paddleboard or kayak across the clear waters of Playa de San Juan. See the most beautiful areas of the bay.
- Hike up the village of Guadalest to reach the ruins of Castle of L'Alcozaiba, perched on the edge of the mountain.
- Check out Alicante’s urban graffiti for a glimpse of how modern street artists are leaving their creative mark on the city.
- Take an overnight trip to Madrid, the Spanish capital, to see some of the best art galleries and museums in Europe (or, some say, the world!).
Please note activities are based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when arranging activities is always to enhance your experience.
Dates & Fees
- Participants must be 14 years old and above.
- Program open to all current high school students—Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors—who have completed at least one year of high school Spanish. Students who have completed at least two years of high school Spanish may qualify for the Honors Language & Culture program in Madrid or Seville.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our scholarship page.
For more information, refer to the detailed Program Essential Eligibility Criteria.
Optional College Credit Fee
Learn more about how to get college credit for your future college degree.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. Find additional details about what’s included with your tuition.
|Program Summer Session I 2024 4 weeks
|Program Summer Session II 2024 4 weeks
(Dietary Needs Accommodated)
All Ground Transportation
Optional Flight Chaperone
(Flight Cost Not Included)
Pre-departure Advice and Orientation
Access to Local Phone and WIFI
All Cultural Activities and Excursions
Comprehensive Medical and Travel Protection
24/7 Emergency On-site Support
Rocío oversees all semester and summer programs. Rocio, who joined CIEE in 2015, has extensive working experience in the fields of communication and cultural management. She holds a B.A. in...