Italian Language & Culture
Spots Available Only For Session 1
Language Growth and Cultural Competence
Come home with a higher level of Italian and a greater understanding of Italian culture. Use your STAMP 4S language proficiency pre- and post-test scores to demonstrate your language growth and help you earn a Seal of Biliteracy.
Choose to earn 4 college credits toward your future college degree. Take advantage of the credits to stand out on your college applications or to satisfy college language requirements.
Lifelong Skills and Friendships
Return with greater self-confidence, independence, and adaptability. Enjoy a broader worldview and diverse friendships of different backgrounds from across the U.S.
Hours Of Instruction With A Native Italian Teacher
Welcome to Milan, a magnet for artists and the home of high-end fashion houses.
Located in northern Italy, Milan has a rich history spanning over two thousand years! Founded by the Celts in the 6th century B.C., it was once the capital of the Western Roman Empire and became an important financial center in the Renaissance. During this time, Leonardo da Vinci painted the famous Last Supper, covering the end wall of the Santa Maria delle Grazie church. Legend has it da Vinci also contributed to the renovation of Milan’s canals. Renaissance and contemporary art lovers alike enjoy the large waterways of the Bohemian Navigli district, where beautiful exhibits, galleries, and courtyards display local artists’ works.
Milan is an ideal location for young creatives. Prestigious fashion schools attract top designers from around the world. International chefs travel here to take in the food scene, influenced by the many flavors of the region. The city offers many walking areas, cycling paths, and large parks as well, like the Parco Sempione and Giardini Indro Montanelli, which offer a chance to unwind amidst the cityscape.
Weekly Learning Goals
Just imagine all the fun you’ll have!
- Hop on a bike and cruise along the Naviglio Grande, the oldest of the canals that make up Milan’s canal system.
- Climb to the terrazza of the Gothic Duomo di Milano, the world's 4th largest church in the world. Catch breathtaking views across the city.
- Craft your very own Milanese dishes with the help of a local chef. Then, sample your creations!
- Share local snacks with your friends as you watch classic Italian films under the stars as part of Milan’s outdoor summer film series.
- Step into Castello Sforzesco Castle, a fortress built in the 14th century. Explore Leonardo da Vinci's Sala delle Asse and Michelangelo's Pietà Rondanini Museum.
- Take an architectural tour of BAM, a public park that hosts Milan’s most unique high-rise, the Vertical Forest.
Please note activities are based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when arranging activities is always to enhance your experience.
Dates & Fees
- Participants must be 14 years old and above.
- Program open to all current high school students—Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors —of all Italian language proficiency levels.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our scholarship page.
For more information, refer to the detailed Program Essential Eligibility Criteria.
Optional College Credit Fee
Learn more about how to get college credit for your future college degree.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. Find additional details about what’s included with your tuition.
|Program Summer Session I 2024 4 weeks
|Program Summer Session II 2024 4 weeks
(Dietary Needs Accommodated)
All Ground Transportation
Optional Flight Chaperone
(Flight Cost Not Included)