Information for term Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 13 – Jul 10, 2021 (4 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 11 – Aug 7, 2021 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
An ideal backdrop for top-flight language acquisition and a journey into the rich Moroccan culture.
Join the daily swirl of life in Rabat, the cosmopolitan capital that’s home to diplomats, students and multilingual professionals. It’s the ideal backdrop for your daily Arabic language instruction (in both Darija and Modern Standard Arabic), and explorations into the rich traditions of Moroccan culture.
Drink mint tea, eat traditional sweets, and take in sweeping ocean views in cafes near the 12th-century Kasbah. Converse with merchants while browsing in the old-world Medina. Back home with your Moroccan homestay, you’ll practice your Arabic skills as you prepare and share traditional meals and enjoy authentic everyday life.
Through CIEE activities, you’ll connect with Moroccan artists, musicians, and fellow students. Each day, in different ways, you’ll discover the enduring strengths of this open and progressive society that’s been a crossroads for African, Middle Eastern, and European civilizations for centuries.
Language & Culture
60 hours of instruction in colloquial Darija and Modern Standard Arabic by CIEE professors, placement with homestay
4 College Credits
College credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college
A certificate of language learning in Arabic, and documented language growth through pre- and post- program testing
Location & CultureClick to Open
Rabat offers a unique combination of modern and traditional architecture, lovely gardens, and green spaces.
No North African city is more welcoming and hospitable than Rabat. Less crowded and more relaxed than neighboring destinations, it is known for its open, progressive society and prime location on the Atlantic coast.
Arabic and French are the main languages you’ll hear on the streets. From ancient markets to French Colonial architecture to opulent foreign embassies, the city has a unique mix of colorful styles and cultures. Palm trees line boulevards and lush gardens make the city pleasantly livable.
Daily LifeClick to Open
"After my trip with CIEE I have definitely grown in ways I never could if I had stayed in the US."
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog posts above.
Carefully screened homestay in Rabat
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
Get excited about all the things you could do during your time abroad. Here are a few sample activities and excursions:
- Visit historic landmarks like Roman ruins or the medieval fortress citadel, with Andalusian gardens and amazing ocean views.
- Explore treasures of Morocco’s ancient heritage at the National Archaeology Museum.
- View striking visual displays at the Museum Mohamed VI of Modern and Contemporary Art, Morocco’s first public institution dedicated entirely to contemporary arts.
- Learn the intricate art of Arabic calligraphy.
- Get glammed up for a Moroccan party with traditional dress, dance, and henna art.
- Prepare authentic local dishes during a Moroccan cooking class.
- Go kayaking at a local beach
- Expand your horizons on visits to Tangier.
- Go on an overnight excursion to the famous city of Marrakesh. Marvel at the snake charmers and artisan crafts in Marrakesh’s bustling Jemaa el-Fnaa square, attend an interactive session with locals in the winding souks of the old medina.
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- All language proficiency levels accepted.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
Optional College Credit Fee
$150 Learn more
|Summer Session I 2021 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 13, 2021||Jul 10, 2021||
|Summer Session II 2021 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 11, 2021||Aug 7, 2021||