Welcome to Yucatan!

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Gabriela Cedeño

The moment has come! Our students arrived in Merida last Sunday and were received by our local Center Staff and their host parents. They enjoyed their afternoon with their host family, getting to know them and resting for the full of adventures upcoming days.

Photo for blog post Welcome to Yucatan!

Well rested, our students visited CIEE Center for the first time on Monday for the programme induction. They learned about what to expect in Merida and received some tips about how to understand the local culture better and adapt in an easier way. Later on, we went to have lunch at a local café where the students could get to know each other and share their goals and expectations of the programme. 

Photo for blog post Welcome to Yucatan!

With full bellies and excitement, we walked to one of the most recognized parks in town, ¨Parque de las Américas¨, where we were able to carry icebreaking games out so the students could learn a little bit more about their new classmates. At the end of the day, students went back to their host families, looking forward to starting the language lessons and visiting Merida´s highlights.

Photo for blog post Welcome to Yucatan!