Weekend Trip to Valencia!!

Jacob Badin
The Weekend trip has come! Arriving in Valencia around 5 p.m. we went straight to the hostel to drop off our belongings and then drove directly to the beach. There the students were able to relax to the sounds of crashing waves, wind blowing, and locals dining. Friday was the Valencian festival of Sant Juan, which is a holiday that celebrates the Summer Solstice. The streets were alive and the students witnessed what local holidays are like here in Spain. After eating a delicious pizza dinner, everyone went back to the hostel for a good night's rest to get ready for the following day.
Day two in Valencia consisted of a walking tour through the Old town, checking out the local plazas, central market, and the city gates. After which the students got a chance to go to the beach before heading to the Albufera to try the authentic and homemade paella. Once the students had gotten off the bus, we embarked on a journey through the lake that surrounds adjacent rice fields. The lake, which contains brackish water, is perfect for these rice patties to grow "Arroz Bomba". After seeing where the rice came from we enjoyed the delicious paella and returned to the city for a relaxing evening.
On the last day of the trip, the students got the opportunity to visit the Fallas Museum. Fallas are large statues that are constructed of wood and paper and then lit on fire leading up to the vernal equinox. Concluding the trip, all students got to check out the City of Arts and Sciences and all of the sciency wonders that were inside.