Student Takeover: Jayla Bussey Goes Back to Her Childhood

Spanish Language & Culture

Penelope de Leon

This post was written by LC Session 1 student, Jayla Bussey.

I remember when I first discovered CIEE I was researching all of the different programs. The one that appealed to me the most was Palma de Mallorca, because of the breathtaking views of both beaches and mountains. As I dove deeper into the program, I fell in love with this trip because I would be able to personally be immersed in both the gorgeous beaches of Palma, and the nostalgic campsite La Victoria, Alcudia. As I started my first week of this trip I was quick to realize that everyone else had also been drawn to the camping trip we’d be going on during the third week. 

The two nights and three days camping was the perfect mixture of peaceful and exciting. During the night we were able to spend time catching up with our friends, and start new conversations with people we may have not had the chance to connect with. We braided hair, made friendship bracelets, and danced in a circle blasting our favorite 2000s hits. We rolled around the basketball court playing games with our new favorite counselors. During the day we zip lined through the woods, coasteered into the the blue waters of Alcúdia, and hiked up rocky mountains to be rewarded with a gorgeous view and beach day. 

Photo for blog post Student Takeover: Jayla Bussey Goes Back to Her Childhood

The most rewarding part of this experience was being able to relive childhood memories before going off to college next year. As intelligent young adults we are always working hard for our grades and other goals. It was refreshing to feel like a child again for the weekend and be disconnected from social media. This weekend will hold a special place in my heart forever.