Rome through Josie and Hannah's eyes

Italian Language & Culture

Francesca Cellini
My name is Josie and I’m a participant in the CIEE Italian Language & Culture program here in Rome. We’ve been here for three weeks and my time here so far has been absolutely fantastic!From exploring the streets of Trastevere to Roman art workshops to evening gelato outings, every day brings something new. The community that has been built here by CIEE staff and students is the most tight knit group I’ve ever had the privilege to be a part of, and for that I am beyond grateful. Our PLs (Program Leaders) are incredibly compassionate and genuine individuals who make sure that each and every student feels safe and at home. They have become a second family to us students and we know that we can trust them with anything. As for the students themselves, we are diverse group of young adults from all over the US who have immediately found lifelong friends in one another. Over the course of this trip, I’ve learned so much about myself and the world around me—studying abroad has truly changed my life. I feel such a strong connection not only to my new friends, but to Italian life itself. As we venture through the city and observe the unique ways of Roman life, we are astounded by the differences from American culture. I can now say with complete certainty that choosing to study with CIEE was the best decision I’ve ever made. I can’t wait to see what the final weeks of our trip will bring, and I’m sure that when we return home, our global perspectives will be forever changed. Ciao my name is Hannah and I’m apart of the Rome language and culture program. So far this program has been simply amazing. I’ve had a lot of fun exploring new territory across the world from my home. The most fascinating thing to me thus far has been the Ancient ruins that are all over Rome. I love the fact that the Romans choose to build around it rather than getting rid of it. There are little pockets of ancient buildings just sitting in different areas in the streets of Rome. Even the park has things that are authentic to the beginning of this region. Over all I have enjoyed myself.