Nanjing Museum Tour trip

Xi Lin

Our students had a great week! They went to the Natioal Nanjing Museum on July 12.

The Nanjing Museum, established in 1933, was formerly the Preparatory Office of the National Central Museum. It was started by Mr. Yuan Pei Cai, who is a great Chinese educator. The museum holds a collection of more than 430,000 pieces of artifacts and artwork. They range from the paleolithic period to the contemporary, including objects of both national and local characteristics. Some of them were passed down from the imperial court, some were excavated from archaeological sites, and some were donations of bronze ware, jade, ceramics, gold and silver utensils, bamboo and wood horns, lacquerware, textiles and embroideries, and paintings.

Our students did their Community Conversations (practicing the Chinese they learned in class in the morning with locals) in Nanjing Museum. Level 1 introduced themselves in Chinese and discussed public transportation with locals. Level 2 asked locals about activities they did over the weekend. Level 3 students found evidence of different dynasties. Students took pictures of clothing styles, cooking, traffic and houses etc. in the dynasties. After that, students described it in English.

It was an interesting and educational trip, even during the rain downpour of Nanjing! Everybody learned a lot!