Marhaba bikum in Mohammedia!

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Nihal Bouabida

Marhaba bikum in Mohammedia! - Welcome to Mohammedia!-

Upon arrival, our CIEE students were greeted by an atmosphere like no other. They had the wonderful opportunity to spend Eid Al Adha in Morocco and experience firsthand the Moroccan way of life. Family gatherings and delicious feasts are at the heart of this Eid. The students met with their homestay families, settled in and learned about the distinctive characteristics of each Moroccan family. 

After a debrief on Eid, the CIEE group attended an orientation session at the American Language Center of Mohammedia where they learned more about Moroccan culture, talked about the goals of the program, and learn the peculiar way Moroccans make and pour their tea. Later that day, they met with Moroccan students their age. The encounter was full of wonders and excitement! Both groups ventured into Mohammedia city with the goal of discovering the local popular/hidden spots and taking pictures for a scavenger hunt. They got to visit the Mohammedia mosque, the city park and the beach. They had fun taking creative pictures near fruit and vegetable stands, and interacting with Hanuts -local convenient stores. The Mohammedia tour allowed the students to feel more confident in navigating their hometown and to build connections with Moroccan peers. Everyone had a fantastic couple of days! Today, they started their first official Darija class, and they will visit their service site in the afternoon. 

Stay tuned to follow our students' journey.