Making Moves and Munching on Mango

Leadership & Service in Children's Education

Kaylee Haskell

Akwaaba! Welcome to our HSSA Legon session one blog! We are the program leaders– Kaylee and Keyandra– and we will be updating you all as much as possible throughout our three-week Ghanaian journey.

After meeting in New York and making a pit stop in Amsterdam, we ventured to Accra to meet our on-site staff at the airport. We then checked into our rooms at the International Student Hostel (ISH) on campus at The University of Ghana and settled into our temporary homes.

Students began their day with a hearty Ghanaian breakfast full of pineapple, mango, omelets, pancakes and more. We began orientation at the CIEE study center located at the International House on campus. Auntie Abena and Auntie Janet led the students through various topics such as proper Ghanaian etiquette, bystander intervention training, housing policies and more.

Photo for blog post Making Moves and Munching on Mango

The global navigators concluded their day with a traditional Ghanaian dance workshop. Students learned lyrics in Twi, the most widespread language spoken in Ghana, and learned the significance of space in relation to music and dance.

Our first day of orientation was a success and the Global Navigators are feeling prepared and excited for our next three weeks! Stay tuned for more updates on our global Ghana gang.

Medaase, (thank you in Twi)

Kaylee

P.S.

For each of our blog posts, we encourage you to learn with our students by learning a chosen Twi word of the day! The Twi word of the day is duaba which translates to fruit in English. Ghana is rich in various fruits ranging from mango to pineapple to soursop. Our students eat fruit salad every morning to start their day!

Fresh mango from the market!