Leadership & Service in Children's Education
Work alongside passionate Ghanaian NGO leaders committed to transforming the lives of children through education. Reflect on your own leadership style and strengths as you mentor children ages 4 to 15 through activities, games and workshops.
Lifelong Skills and Friendships
After just 3 weeks away, you'll build self-confidence, gain a broader world view, improve your interpersonal communication skills and make lifelong friends from all across the U.S.
Credentials for Your Future
Topics for your college essays, experience to inform your future career, a Certificate of 50 hours of Service Learning.
One of Africa’s most stable countries, Ghana offers a rich cultural heritage.
Legon is a suburb outside of the Ghanaian capital city of Accra. It is home to the University of Ghana, which students and residents refer to simply as "Legon.” The oldest and largest university in Ghana, it was originally associated with the University of London but is now independent with over 40,000 students and a multitude of study areas.
Accra is a bustling coastal city with beaches, botanical gardens, and colorful bazaars.
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Legon.
- Make bead jewelry and weave baskets with experienced locals.
- Make your own tie-dye and batik cloth.
- Learn to cook some local dishes and experience through learning some traditional dances and drumming.
- Take a day trip to explore the historic Cape Coast Castle and its role in the slave trade, and to the stunning Kakum National Park with its canopy covering and rainforest.
- Embark on a multi-day trip to Kumasi in the Ashanti Region which holds many traditional monuments to the Asante people and the Ghanaian culture.
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & Fees
- Participants must be 14 years old and above.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
For more information, refer to the detailed Program Essential Eligibility Criteria.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
|Program Summer Session I 2024 3 weeks
|Program Summer Session II 2024 3 weeks
Amma is a PhD Candidate at the Regional Institute of Populations Studies at University of Ghana. She has a Bachelors degree in English and a Masters in Population Studies all from University of Ghana.