Homestay Prep and Khon Kaen Adventures

Jude Peckinpaugh

This week has been all about practicing Thai and learning about the environmental impacts of gold mining. The students spent time preparing for their upcoming community homestay by creating a list of exchange questions to ask villagers and the Radical Grandma Collective. They are very eager to talk with villagers and learn about the effects mining has on their community. They are also very excited to learn from the collective and try their hand at weaving.

To further prepare for their community visit, the student’s learned how to make traditional Isaan dishes by participating in a cooking contest. They teamed up against each other and went head to head to see who could prepare the best ‘Tom Yum’ and ‘Som Tum.’

Along with preparing for their visit, the students have also been exploring the city of Khon Kaen and getting to know the local culture. They were able to tour the local zoo, sightsee at Phra Mahathat Kaen Nakohn (the 9 story temple), explore Cobra Village, shop on Saturday Walking Street, visit the Natural History Museum, have fun at the water park.