The first few days in Valparaiso!

Yesenia A.

Today we visited one of Pablo Neruda’s homes, La Sebastiana, which he named after the builder Sebastian Collado. Neruda’s home overlooks nearly all of Valparaiso from “Cerro Florida”. Pablo Neruda loved hosting people in his home and enjoyed toys, so much so that he has many toys in his home. What has surprised many, after touring La Sebastian, is that the house appears to not have a kitchen. However, we were informed that Neruda’s home did, in fact, have a kitchen, however it is not open to the public because Neruda did not want anyone other than himself or his cook in the kitchen. Below are some pictures outside of La Sebastiana. 

Photo for blog post The first few days in Valparaiso!
The group in front of Pablo Neruda's home. Photo Credit: Paulina
A group photo in front of the view from La Sebastiana. Photo Credit: Paulina

Yesterday, students in level 3 went out for empanadas as part of their community conversation activity. During our free afternoon, some students went to a restaurant called J. Cruz M which is said to be the place where the Chorrillana originated. Chorrillana is a typical Chilean dish that originated in Valparaiso. It typically consists of french fries as its base topped with a variety of ingredients such as eggs, meat, and grilled onions. Here are some pictures.

Students enjoying their empanadas. 
Some of the group members in front of the restaurant J. Cruz M. 
Nate taking a picture of the Chorrillana in J. Cruz M. Photo Credit: Tariah

On Tuesday, we took a tour of Valparaiso on a trolley, went up and down “Ascensor Artillería” and ended in “Muelle Baron”.  Here are some pictures.

Elizabeth, Nathaly, Jacq, and McKayla in the "trole". Photo Credit: Maria Paz
Sam and Isaac in the "trole". Photo Credit: Maria Paz
Nate, Ian, and Louise in the "trole". Photo Credit: Maria Paz
Andrew, Carly, Yesenia, Sophia, Tariah, and T-Juani in the "trole". Photo Credit: Maria Paz
Group of students that live outside of Valpo on "Cerro Artillería". Photo Credit: Isaac
The group leaving the port (Muelle Baron). Photo Credit: Maria Paz