Excitement at Walibi

Alexis Savas

The Program Leaders had a big surprise for the students for their last cultural activity of their Brussels program. After going to class an hour earlier than usual, the students hopped on a train headed for the biggest amusement park in Belgium- WALIBI!

All of the students had a great time playing in the park- there were roller coasters, spinning rides, lots of barbe à papa (cotton candy), a water ride in a barrel going backwards, and much more!   Needless to say, the students were so happy to let loose after 3 weeks of study and hard work in their Model UN class.  Favorite rides were the Loup Garou (a tall wooden coaster), Vampire (a coaster where your feet hang free), and the water rides. (Don't worry parents, we made everyone put on LOTS of sunscreen!!!)

Students noticed several cultural differences between theme parks in the US and here in Belgium. The biggest difference was the lack of crowds- no ride had more than a 30 minute wait, while many popular attractions at theme parks in the US could have up to a 2 hour wait time! Many families also brought picnics, and there were picnic areas throughout the park.  It was also fun to see how Belgium portrays their version of the "WILD WEST"..... it was the only part of the park where everything was labelled in English.

It has been an incredible adventure in Brussels for this Inaugural World Government Program, and our day at Walibi was a perfect last activity for everyone!