Before Departure

Molly N.

This summer I will be going to Khon Kaen, Thailand to learn about environmental issues that are taking place in Thailand, whilst also delving into the Thai culture! On the trip, we will also be setting up English camps for local students while also picking up the native Thai language from students and local villagers. This summer I will be headed to college and plan on majoring in environmental science and this trip will allow me to witness issues from a different cultural perspective. I heard about CIEE through a friend who went to France last year and she said it was a culturally eye-opening experience and she still remains in contact with friends she has made on the trip as well as her host family. My friends, family, and teachers are all anticipating on hearing stories about everything I've learned and the things I've done when I get back home. My parents and teachers have always emphasized that going out of my comfort zone will broaden my horizon and allow me to see things from different perspectives, and I think traveling to Thailand will do just that! Prior to the trip, students had to complete modules and courses so that adjusting to a new environment will go smoothly and to make sure students are aware of cultural differences. I found that the modules really did help with organizing my flights and what to pack, as well as informing me about Thai customs. Before leaving I also brushed up on basic Thai phrases such as "sa-wat-dee," which means hello, and "khop loon," which means thank you. I really am excited to meet everyone on the trip and build a community within our program and with the local villagers and students in Thailand! Hopefully, on the first day abroad we'll all get to know one another and eat good Thai food :)