Cultural Activities around Madrid

Spanish Language & Culture

Jacob Badin

Here in Madrid, we are just passing the halfway point of our second week which has been filled with lots of cultural activities. This week the participants in the Language and Culture group got the opportunities to work with a Cajon Artists and make music. A Cajon is a percussive box and is played by sitting on the instrument and striking the front or rear panel with your hands. The participants also got the opportunity to go to a ceramics workshop where they were able to make their own take of a Spanish mug. Soon they will be baked and then delivered to the students so that they can take them back home as authentic souvenirs. Throughout the week after classes finished, participants are also given an opportunity to go out into the community to ask locals about their favorite things to do around the city. Most recently everyone has gotten many recommendations about delicious restaurants to try out, must-see museums, as well as the best Spanish films that are currently in theatres. This upcoming weekend is our trip to Valencia. Stay tuned!