Cocina Española

Alejandro Sanchez

One of the best ways to get to know the culture of a country is through its food. The paella is one of Spain's most emblematic dishes. The students got to experience making one in a traditional Spanish cooking class here in Sevilla. I love these types of activities because the students actively participate, they learn a new trait, in this case cooking, and most importantly they get to enjoy eating the delicious food they make. 

The students started by dividing into teams to prep the different ingredients. While some cut the chicken for the paella, others handled the vegetables. Once everything was chopped up, the ingredients were poured into the paellera, a special pan where the paella is cooked in. Garlic, salt and other seasoning were added to the mix for flavor. The paellera was enormous, the biggest I've ever seen. It was just the right size to feed 25 hungry students. Due to its proportion,  the students had to take turns sturring the rice with giant spatulas.  

After the rice was ready, the students began preparing gazpacho, a refreshing soup that is typical of Andalucía. It is made by blending raw vegetables such as tomatoes, onion, and cucumber with olive oil and vinegar. 

Once everything was finished cooking; the table was set, dinner was served, and the students proudfully enjoyed the authentic Spanish dinner they prepared.