Ciutat Vella, Mercado de La Boqueria and a private guitar show

Alicia Vega

The fun in Barcelona continues with a scavenger hunt in the "old city" of Barcelona, a trip to the Boqueria Market, and an intimate concert by the renowned Catalan guitar player, Joan Furió. 

Ciutat Vella Scavenger Hunt

This week, each group visited what is considered the Ciutat Vella or "old city" of Barcelona, which includes the Born neighborhood and Gothic Quarter. The students were met by two guides in front of the El Born Centre de Cultura i Memòria where they were given a backpack with materials and instructions that came in handy throughout the hunt. Together they figured out riddles, uncovered hidden secrets of the city, and even spoke with locals. In the end, only one team came out on top — being "crowned" the winners of the scavenger hunt.

Boqueria Market

Another day, the students went on a tour of the Boqueria Market where they got to practice their Spanish while ordering a natural fruit juice from a local vendor. They were guided through the market by our Spanish culture expert and after exploring all the local produce and freshly caught fish as a group, the students went off and to buy anything that caught their eye. Some even got to try fruits they never knew existed before. 

Joan Furió

While everyone else is out, some groups stayed in CIEE to enjoy a private show by a famous guitar player. Joan Furió came to the center to teach the students about the Spanish guitar. He played beautiful Catalan melodies along with some songs that the students could recognize.