Cape Coast and Kakum- Crossing Bridges and Connecting Paths

Leadership & Service in Children's Education

Kaylee Haskell

Our trip to Cape Coast was quite the adventure, starting bright and early at 6 a.m. The students boarded the bus as we set out on our 3 hour drive to the coast side. Once we finally arrived, we were greeted by painters and jewelry makers, selling a variety of items. We continued on until we finally entered the doorway of Cape Coast Castle, a slave castle that once housed thousands of Africans from various areas in West Africa. The students were lead through the castle as they listened intently to the tour guide who spoke of its history.

Cape Coast Castle is one of the largest castles to participate in the Transatlantic Slave Trade, which spanned over 200 years and involved Africa, North and South America, the West Indies, Central America and Europe. The trade consisted of transporting millions of Africans who were enslaved by Europeans and had to endure inhumane and horrific conditions.

The students had the opportunity to enter the same dungeons that once held 150-200 Africans at a time and stand in the opening of the “Door of No Return." An array of emotions were felt as the students stood in the same spot where such dreadful acts were committed. Even though the tour of the castle was emotional and moving for some, the amount of history that the students learned was quite beneficial. It allowed for the students to understand a part of history that changed the course of life for millions of Africans across the world.

Photo for blog post Cape Coast and Kakum- Crossing Bridges and Connecting Paths

After the castle tour and a quick lunch, the group traveled to Kakum National Park to brave the famous canopy walk. Kakum National Park is located in the central region of Ghana. The area is covered with tropical rainforest.  The canopy walkaway allows people to travel the tropical forest on a bridge.

The tree canopy walkway, enables individuals to walk over the high tropical forest on a swinging bridge measuring almost 500m long among the tallest trees. Each student had the opportunity to go on the canopy walk and see an amazing view of the central region. Following on walk on the canopy above vegetation, the group went to a mall where they indulged in Ghanaian and American Cuisine.   

After a busy first weekend in Ghana, the students returned to their hostel to rest before beginning their second week of service, classes and cultural activities. Stay tuned for more adventures!

Medaase,

Keyandra, Harriet and Kaylee